Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving a Pre-defined Crop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

Let's say I have an image that is M x N pixels in size. I want to define a crop area  that is m x n where m < M & n < N (without having to grab & resize the area to m x n), then be able to move the m x n crop area based on the chosen grid & then apply the crop.

Is there a way to save this cropping action as a preset?

Any & all help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian Hoffe

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you can do this as an Action?  Have you used Actions before?

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't, it's as easy as pulling up the Actions Panel, creating a new action and hitting the record button.  Then Photoshop records everything you do until you hit stop.  After that, it will repeat the same process every time you hit play from the Actions Panel.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-actions.html

Feel free to clarify if you need something different 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Each image will have different subjects and therefore the amount of moving the crop "marquee" will vary from image to image before applying the crop. I suspect with actions, it will only remember a single crop setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll confirm whether it works or doesn't in a few hours, but you should be able to click the checkbox for a dialogue prompt to pop up in the action with your pre-defined settings already there.  

From there you should just be able to move the crop tool and click ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed!  I created two separate Actions with different dimensions and I was able to easily go between the two without having to change any settings.  I could just move the crop box to the desired part of the photo and press ok.  Just make sure to check the box on the Action to prompt a dialogue box, I have my mouse over it in the screen shot.  Good luck, let me know if any clarifying is needed!

2022-09-30 20_39_48-DSC_7665.NEF @ 16.7% (RGB_16).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try 😊.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are saying with the comment below.  By entering a specific size, it always defaults to a ratio and spans the entire image with that ratio.  3000px x 2000px defaults to 3x2 aspect ratio and spans the entire image for instance.  Is that accurate?

I was able to drag the crop area to about 1/4 size while recording an Action, and have the Action reproduce that 1/4 size.  Perhaps not as accurate as entering a specific size, but it should get you in the ballpark.

2022-10-01 01_25_53-DSC_0168.NEF @ 12.3% (RGB_16) _.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make a crop preset (configure and save):

preset.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fo the reply. I'm uncertain about this but the crop present will not allow moving the crop "marquee" prior to applying the crop yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the preset does is fill in the Crop tool dimensions and resolution in the options bar. When you choose a preset, the crop rectangle is set to those preset values, but not yet applied. You can still adjust the size and position of the crop rectangle before committing. If you like how it is right away, you would just commit (click the √ button, or press Enter or Return).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a starting image that is 4608 px x 3456 px (see attached image). I define a crop preset of 3000 px x 2000 px x 300 px/in and choose it (see attached image). Notice how the crop marquee spreads the entire width of the image even though 3000 px < 4608 px 🤔. Then if I apply the crop, ues, I do indeed get an cropped image that is 3000 px x 2000 px x 300 px/in (see attached image) but that not the desired result 🤷🏻‍:male_sign:.

To get the desired result, I would have to choose, for sake of arguement, one of the pre-defined ratio crop presets (i.e. 2x3, 5x4, 4x6, etc ...) and then physically grab the corner of the crop marquee & resize it to the desired size, then move this marquee to the desired position & then apply the crop. You can see that this can get rather tiresome if one is editing many, many images. 

Hopefully this explains why the crop preset method is not what I want unless you know of another method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop tool will initially fit the full image and resample to the final pixel size.

If you want to crop to original pixels, you need the marquee tool set to fixed size. That will count the pixels and you can move the marquee around, then image > crop.

I'm not at my workstation right now, so I can't remember if there are any workaround options in the crop tool, but off the top of my head I can't think of any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also use the Rectangular Marquee tool set to a fixed size as per DFosse's instructions. The only thing to add is that you can save Presets for the the tool from the dropdown on the far left of the options bar.

Also, when you are finished, you might want to reset the tool.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Notice how the crop marquee spreads the entire width of the image even though 3000 px < 4608 px 🤔. Then if I apply the crop, ues, I do indeed get an cropped image that is 3000 px x 2000 px x 300 px/in (see attached image) but that not the desired result

By @Brian Hoffe

Yes, in that way my earlier reply could have been more precise. Because it’s true, the Crop tool preset doesn‘t set the initial Crop tool dimensions, only the dimensions of the image after applying the pending crop.

I agree with the others that the Rectangle Marquee tool in Fixed Size mode, using pixel dimensions, should address the problem (when followed by choosing Image > Crop). That method does set the pixel dimensions of the initial selection.

Another option that is similarly precise is using a vector path to set the initial rectangle size. You might not need to do this…it takes an extra step because you have to convert the path to a selection before choosing Edit > Crop. The two reasons I sometimes crop with a path is because I want both the option of changing the size, and the ability to copy and paste that exact crop to other open images — a path can be copied and pasted among images of different dimensions, but a selection or Crop tool rectangle cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fo the reply. I'm uncertain about this but the crop present will not allow moving the crop "marquee" prior to applying the crop yes?

By @Brian Hoffe

Yes you can. It simply defines the crop. From there, it's up to you.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines