• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Character Styles across documents in Photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why, when I create and save a Character Style in one Photoshop file, does it not appear in the CS palette in other, open files? And why won't the style apply when I've got text selected and click on a character style in the palette?

I work in Photoshop in Windows on a client's Hosted Virtual Desktop. Thanks for your wisdom...someone?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Hi Character/Paragraph styles are document specific. You can load styles into the new PS file:

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 12.09.50.jpg

Regarding your second question, it should apply the style when you have the text selected and click on that style in the character pallet! Make sure that there is no funny override for example. You can clear the override from within the character pallet flat menu.

For what it is worth: if you drag that text layer with a style to another open document that Style will be carried over and be available in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Character/Paragraph styles are document specific. You can load styles into the new PS file:

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 12.09.50.jpg

Regarding your second question, it should apply the style when you have the text selected and click on that style in the character pallet! Make sure that there is no funny override for example. You can clear the override from within the character pallet flat menu.

For what it is worth: if you drag that text layer with a style to another open document that Style will be carried over and be available in the character pallet.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer is to save the character style, make an action that does that. Then go to the Events Manager, and set it so that whenever you open a document, it plays that action.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant make an action to Load Default Type Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The functionality here is not great.

Surely most users would want to have a set of frequently-used Character Styles available in any document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I would rather want that in InDesign, I tried dragging a style to libraries, it did not work.

You can create a feature request if you feel that it is a vital part of your workflow.

Did you explore @ChristianMala 's suggestion? He mentions the Scripts Events Manager, more info here: https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/photoshop/using/scripting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks PE. Yes — dragging Character Styles to Libraries does not work.

I may make a feature request if I feel strongly enough about it. It's certainly a feature that would save time in my current project.

I'll look into the scripting solution too thanks.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scripts event manager can also launch actions, it is also made for non-coders!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes — I used it a few weeks ago for the first time and found it useful.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines