• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving/File extension issue in Photoshop 21.1.0

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community! First time posting here!

I'm using OSX Catalina and I'm running the latest version of Photoshop. I noticed that now when I go to Save for Web (Legacy) Photoshop brings up the Save dialog box and the entire file name and extension are selected (Untitled.jpg). So when I type a file name it deletes the file extension and will not add it "automagically" like before. Save As works fine and so does Save but I like my good old Save for Web! Any other solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

"So when I type a file name it deletes the file extension and will not add it "automagically" like before. Save As works fine and so does Save but I like my good old Save for Web!"

This is fixed in the current version 22.5.1. If you rename the file without the extension, the correct extension for the file type selected in the Save For Web dialog is added when the file is saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that the Filename and the extension are both getting highlighted while saving a file in Photoshop 2020 "Save for web(legacy)".

We have seen many other reports and this problem has been identified as a known issue. Our engineering team is working towards a fix. Please feel free to add your vote and share your feedback in this discussion  Photoshop: File name and extension highlight when saving on macOS 10.15 Catalina so our engineers can look into it. 

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This STILL hasn't been fixed 21.2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nor in 21.2.2 😡

Issue has been on-going since early 2020. Hard to believe this is such a difficult fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this "solved" by claiming that it has been identified as a known issue? That's literally the opposite of "solved" as the problem is STILL HAPPENING. This is NOT a "correct answer" and when the heck will this ever be solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Could you pelase specify which version of photoshop are you using and how are you trying to save? If this is issue is replicable at your end please share some relevant screenshot. 

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I have yet to see a fix for this yet. There have been several "Save" issues since the 21 release.

- File Extensions are not used unless you physically type them.

- Command+A no longer selects the Filename when saving.

- Command+V no longer pastes to use as filenames.

Yes, we live with the change, but it does affect productivity. And, is really, really annoying. *sigh.

I'm on 21.2.0, but this error has consistently been happening since recent updates in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree! Why is this still happening months later? Big time waster to have to type in file extemsions manually. Get onto it Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really weird that this just started happening to me. I came on here to try to find an answer on how to fix. 

I have found a work around for the Save For Web option, and that is to type in the file extension manually after you type in what you'd like your jpeg to be named. 

Still frustrating, and sometimes hard to remember!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using: File > Export > Export As and selecting the format and other details the subsequent dialogue box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sooo......It's basically October. This still hasn't been fixed. Must be Covid holding up the process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue, I process a ton of images daily for work, this has been such a problem for us, having to manually add the extensions on a few exports is fine but when you do it for work all day and it really get old, come on Adobe.

I did notice that the problem was introduced in Catalina I think.

I have a comptuer that's still on High Sierra and I've done my photoshop updates to the latest, and I don't have this issue. Adobe and Apple might have to work together on this one to figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did start with Catalina. Did not have this problem when using Mojave. I too wish Adobe would make resolving this oddity a high priority 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan 20, 2021 and I'm still dealing with this issue - which has been extremely frustrating. Especially when the mac can distinguish most file types without an extension, but when sending files to others they struggle. I'm also on Catalina, using the latest PS 22.1.1. Going to see if perhaps an upgrade to Big Sur helps, but what a PITA for something that seems so simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally would use an alternative work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: upgrade to Big Sur does not resolve this ridiculous bug. Saving files ought to be fundamentally straight forward in any software. Somehow, Adobe made it complicated over a year ago and still no fix. Simply dumbfounding. And as I previously posted, saving images in Photoshop (even latest v) via Mojave (10.14.6) is without issue. So definitely an Apple<>Adobe mess in Catalina/Big Sur that has yet to be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a work-around until the issue is fixed, you could try a scripted method to see if it overcomes the issue:

/* This script exports a Save for Web JPEG to a user selected-folder, replacing file name word spaces with hyphens */

#target photoshop

if (app.documents.length !== 0) {
    var docName = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '').replace(/ /g, '-');
    var docNameInput = prompt('Enter a filename (without extension):', docName);
    var docNameOutput = docNameInput.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    var docPath = Folder.selectDialog('Select a folder to save the JPEG image to...');

// File Path & Saving Code
    var saveFileJPEG = new File(docPath + '/' + docNameOutput + '.jpg');
    if (!confirm('File exists - press "Yes" to overwrite or "No" to cancel...', true))
        throw "Script cancelled!";
    SaveForWeb(saveFileJPEG);

// JPEG S4W Options
    function SaveForWeb(saveFileJPEG) {
        var sfwOptions = new ExportOptionsSaveForWeb();
        sfwOptions.format = SaveDocumentType.JPEG;
        sfwOptions.includeProfile = true;
        sfwOptions.interlaced = 0;
        sfwOptions.optimized = true;
        sfwOptions.quality = 70;
        app.activeDocument.exportDocument(saveFileJPEG, ExportType.SAVEFORWEB, sfwOptions);
    }

// alert('JPEG saved!');

} else {
    alert('You must have a document open!');
}

Downloading and Installing Adobe Scripts

I have offered this multiple times in other topics threads lamenting the same issue, however, I have not had any feedback so I don't know if it works or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan 28th and still having this issue. Mojave 10.14.6. Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.1.1 20210104.r.138. Making life miserable. ADOBE WHERE ARE YOU? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 2021. Still not fixed.

Doubleplusungood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep Still an issue. This is absurd. And I'm paying for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't updated for some time... Now really wishing I hadn't. This is doing my head in at the moment. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe could care less about this issue. I'm loading up my old cs4. I can't see paying monthly for downgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing new?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTHING new, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines