Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Saving Files as JPG

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop CC 19.1.5 on my PC, and have been member/user for many years.

All of a sudden, when I load a jpg file, and make minor alteration, eg to contrast or cropping, the save function tries to save as a Photoshop file [It always used to resave as a jpg until a few days ago] - not sure what I have done to set this up!

I appreciate the need to save as Photoshop if you are need to keep eg layer information etc - but otherwise I prefer to save a jpg.

I realise also that I can use 'save as' but this is more cumbersome.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019
I'd put it in even stronger terms: never resave a jpeg if you can avoid it.In this case, I suspect you have the crop tool set to "hide" instead of "delete". That produces a floating layer, and the jpeg format doesn't support that.The jpeg format generally supports nothing at all, except a flat, 8-bit pixel array. So whenever you can't save to jpeg, you need to find the unsupported file property.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Can you check your Layers panel to see if you have any adjustment layers or anything besides one Background layer that would force a Save As to Photoshop?

As an aside, it is not a best practice to resave a JPEG. It’s a lossy format and will degrade each time you make a change and save it. Best practice is to keep tiff or psd and make the changes there, then export to jpeg once.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd put it in even stronger terms: never resave a jpeg if you can avoid it.

In this case, I suspect you have the crop tool set to "hide" instead of "delete". That produces a floating layer, and the jpeg format doesn't support that.

The jpeg format generally supports nothing at all, except a flat, 8-bit pixel array. So whenever you can't save to jpeg, you need to find the unsupported file property.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

I'd put it in ever stronger terms: never resave a jpeg if you can avoid it.

Dag, wouldn’t it be nice if trying to re-save a jpeg always forced a Save As to a psd? It would give people a chance to think about the damage they are about to inflict to their photo.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for quick reply

I DO appreciate the lossy nature of jpeg files [but I find there are(some) times when a quick resave is useful – and I just wondered what I had done to stop it happening?!

There are no other layers open

Daft question – you mention setting crop tool to hide / delete How do I check this?

thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again both

Changed the crop setting – that did the trick – Simple !! THANK YOU

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse   wrote

I'd put it in ever stronger terms: never resave a jpeg if you can avoid it.

Dag, wouldn’t it be nice if trying to re-save a jpeg always forced a Save As to a psd? It would give people a chance to think about the damage they are about to inflict to their photo.

jpeg.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dag, that’s brilliant! Adobe should hire you for all their Alert boxes!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 23.0.0 on my old 2103 iMac 27 inch using OS X Catalina. I cannot save files as straight jpg files. I only have the following options:

Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 8.42.30 AM.png

With my old Photoshop on OS X Mojave I had about 20 choices. Whenever I open this version of Ps I also get this message:

Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 8.41.09 AM.png

Has this something to do with my problem? My Mac has 16 GB of ram and a 512 Mb DDR.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks in anticipation.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, due to a change mandated by Apple, you now need to use Save a copy in that dialog box, see: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Vram is the amount of Ram in your videocard.

You can have more info in help>system info...

If you have a laptop or an iMac, you can't do much, maybe using an external GPU, but....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines