Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

saving jpegs

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks, I am aware of the changes to saving jpegs from raw files, but let me try to explain my question.  When I open a file in PS from Camera Raw and I go to save, only the last non jpeg option is automatically up as the default.  For example, if I have previously saved a TIFF file, that is always there as the default when I go to save.  Then I must click on jpeg in the drop down menu EVERY TIME. Why is it that PS doesn't remember that I have just saved a file as a jpeg?  Is there a work around?  I have gone into settings to drop the "copy" addition to the file (legacy), but this change doesn't really make any sense to me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Screen shot attached.  Thanks, Jon

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, latest version of Photoshop 2023 and Mac Montery 12.6.  Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a 16-bit image as requested** from ACR, the Save menu defaults to TIFF for me, that kind of makes sense. 

You can, however, bypass all this by saving to a JPEG directly from ACR if you wish. Configure one (or more) Save Options and save directly from ACR, would that do? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, This is interesting.  I never have saved directly from Camera Raw, as I do all my cropping and final touches in PhotoShop.  I'll take a look.  I assume I can crop in CR, yes?  Thanks for the reply.  Hope to hear more.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you can crop there. 

There are many good reasons to continue to edit in full resolution, high bit, wide gamut from ACR, then save as a JPEG (save a copy), especially if you're doing a lot of work in PS. You have this high bit, full resolution, wide gamut image saved as a TIFF to do further editing, then spin off a JPEG which does degrade the image quality a lot. 

But if you want a quick and dirty JPEG from ACR, you can do so, even resample it down (for web), convert it to sRGB etc. You can make as many of these Save presets as you wish. 

Otherwise, the preferences you set in ACR are used after clicking "Done" and opening it in Photoshop. It isn't saved; it isn't a JPEG or TIFF or anything yet. You must decide at this point what you want. The safe default (for me) is TIFF which is what I'd prefer anyway (I never save PSDs, no need). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines