• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving JPG from PSD

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this "Problem" after updating to 22.4.0.

Photoshop won't allow me to save as JPG unless I save it as a copy.

I need a solution to save my PSD file as JPG without deleting "copy" from file name everytime I save.

Is there any?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

It is by design. If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned, but it also prevents users from inadvertently losing layers etc.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

@Hymakedis wrote:

I know I'm late to the discussion but.

You are responding to a post from 16 May 2021, and things have changed since then. You can revert to the previous behavior. If you read davescm's "correct" answer, you will see that the change was caused by macOS.

As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.
As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can choose the option - File > Save a Copy (Alt + Ctrl + S)

This will open a dialog box to let you save the file and while 'copy' is added to the file name, you can change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

That's the option Photoshop forcing me to do.

I just feel frustrated deleting 'copy' from my file name every single time while saving as jpg.

Is there a fix for this?

Because jpg is not a copy.

JPG is a independent image file from PSD.

Why Photoshop force me to save a JPG from a PSD as a copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is by design. If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned, but it also prevents users from inadvertently losing layers etc.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am using Photoshop on mac since Photoshop 7.

Now, after this update, PS force me to save as copy if I want to save it as JPG.

Maybe it's me who need to change old habbits.

Old PS allowed me to save JPG from PSD without "copy" letters on my file name.

This change a lot of my workflow uncomfortably... but what choice do I have now.

Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The changes in Photoshop are driven by changes in the latest Mac operating system. Adobe had no choice but to address those issues and make changes. In reality though they do make sense across the board. Only file formats that support all the elements in your document* now appear in Save As. Those file formats which will remove and discard elements of your documents appear in Save a Copy.

* Examples of elements not supported in a jpeg include, layers; 16 bits/channel; hidden pixels (after using crop and not deleting cropped pixels...etc

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer how it was before, this change makes work difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then why a single layer but text, can I save it as .PNG, it doesn't make sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davescm thanks for sharing easiest way, If we save the image file as per your shared method so it will not effect image quality? Can we consider it as high HD quality? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No it does not change jpeg quality. The changes can prevent accidentally saving a file in a format that does not support all the content. Saving a copy does not have to support all the content in the same way as Exporting does not.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't feel confortable with the new procedure to save a JPG.

For me it was: CTRL+SHIFT+S -> TAB (from file name to file format) -> J (selects JPG format) -> ENTER.

In addition, when I click on "Save a copy..." (I have photoshop in spanish and says "Guardar una copia...") the default folder where my copy will be saved is the last folder where I saved something from adobe, not the folder where my .PSD is. This is really anoyying.

Adobe, please, go back, when times where better and I could save a JPG with only my keyboard and a few commands. At least, could you make the default folder to save the copy the same where the original .PSD is?

Thanks for your time-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share the method of webp image file which we downloaded from website so how can I change to JPG in Adobe Photoshop? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can "Save As" Jpeg here is how:

Step 1. Layer>Flatten Image

Step 2. File>Save As>Jpeg

Step 3. Select previous history

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would do all that instead of Alt+Ctrl+S (Save a Copy) ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Save As has a  Alt+Ctrl+S which has always been  my Windows shortcut to Open my Photoshop Scripts folder.  If I use  Alt+Ctrl+S in Photoshop Windows File explorer opens my Photoshop Scripts folder as it does. F2  saves a jpeg

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have altered the standard keyboard shortcuts from Shift+Ctrl+S (Save as) and Alt+Ctrl+S (Save a copy). Adobe developers cannot anticipate the re-allocation of shortcuts by every user, or they would never be able to allocate a new shortcut to a function.

Dave

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe  menu File>Scripts>ScriptName was  usable I would not have had the set a Windows Shortcuts to have Windows File explorer open my Photoshop Scripts folder so I can run script in Photoshop with a usable user interface via Windows File explorer.  Adobe  Scripts menu Items is not usable when you have many Photoshop scripts..  I can use script categories so some on my scripts will be grouped as top script items in the list. So around 50 scripts cans be quickly access. Once you more the 50 scripts you have to scroll the list. Adobe scrolls the list one item at a time.  When you have hundreds of scripts it is too time consuming scrolling a script name at a time. In the File explorer  my scripts are organized in folders I can quickly navigate to the script I want to use and drop it on photoshop to run it.   So I do  not change Adobe Standard Short.  Adobe's "Save a Copy" Shortcut open Widows file explorer on my Photoshop Scripts folder like it has for years.  I have not changes Adobe ShortCuts.

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm puzzled. If you are saying that on your system Alt+Ctrl+S does not open the Save a Copy dialogue on your system but instead opens an open script dialogue, I wonder what setting was used to make it do that?

As for the large list of scripts - that does sound worthy of a feature request.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct for years I have  a Windows shortcut  Alt+Ctrl+S that opens File explorer on My Photoshop's Script folder the Photoshop Scripts folder is linked to.  "C:\Photoshop Scripts"

Alt+Ctrl+S opens File explorer on C:\Photoshop Scripts Done by Windows.

image.png

The Feature request was submitted years ago.  It on Adobe feedback site along with the acknowledge  bug  reports I  have submitted.   I have no problem working around Adobe issues. 

I work around many Adobe issues. Now they have broken one of my work around.  Adobe just broke the Script Event Manager Open Document event handlers are not triggered in 22.4. Its frustrating

Yes I submitted a bug report one their feedback site about the  Open event triggering.  The Problem is Adobe does not care to fix bugs that only bit some users. Its OK to scar some users....

Save a Copy want to add Copy to the  Document's name. Some think that as it should be.  Other think that is awful their  work for years has been without a Copy. Where is the Original Jpeg without the copy. Users now will have old Jpeg file without copy and new Jpeg file with copy. Two different version of an assets rather the one assets.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah that explains it - you have a Windows shortcut on your system that , presumably, overrides the application shortcut.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I want shortcut to work the way I want them to work.  If I find a need for Save a Copy I can use Photoshop UI to get to it.  I want  a better Scripts UI then Adobe provides.  Right now I have no need for Save a Copy. For Image Processor and Image Processor Pro save Versions that is better then save a copy that just appends copy.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save a Copy" is a problem for many... Adobe should had let it be  just a problem for Mac users.   Adobe can not control what Apple does. Now Adobe has degrades Photoshop for both Mac and PC users.  Neither can save an original jpeg from a layers document they  must first flatten the document to a single layer to save an Jpeg File with out  " copy"  appended the the Jpeg File  Name. The Old Photoshop behavior is back with us.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much JJ for explaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super annoying they changed this… I loose soooo much time saving jpgs from a layered psd file (example translations) now it's absurd……… :'(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm late to the discussion but.

Photoshop takes images, changes the images and saves images as new images. .jpg is the most common use of images on the internet. Adobe has hidden the ability to save images in it's software that is used to save images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines