• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving JPG from PSD

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this "Problem" after updating to 22.4.0.

Photoshop won't allow me to save as JPG unless I save it as a copy.

I need a solution to save my PSD file as JPG without deleting "copy" from file name everytime I save.

Is there any?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

It is by design. If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned, but it also prevents users from inadvertently losing layers etc.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

@Hymakedis wrote:

I know I'm late to the discussion but.

You are responding to a post from 16 May 2021, and things have changed since then. You can revert to the previous behavior. If you read davescm's "correct" answer, you will see that the change was caused by macOS.

As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.
As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hymakedis wrote:

I know I'm late to the discussion but.

You are responding to a post from 16 May 2021, and things have changed since then. You can revert to the previous behavior. If you read davescm's "correct" answer, you will see that the change was caused by macOS.

As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.
As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Yes, I'm using the legacy save mode since the last update.

But I fear someday they will just disable this function as they did with

"Legacy Compositing"witch was lastly available in version 21.2.11

That's why I'm using two Photoshop. 21.2.11 and always updating another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much u/Jane that is very helpful. You are of right that the Save As A Copy function is working to solve the issue currently.

u/JJMack also mentioned Save As A Copy and a few reasons it was not an ideal solution for him.

I think there are a number of people including people like myself who come here often to read how to resolve issues and never post or repsond. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, So I have accepted that when I save a copy it's going t hav ethe copy added to the file name, that's fine.

Now I have created an action to batch re-size a folder full of TIFFs and when I do an Automate it's giving me an error message that "Image size" is not avaialble. If i click continue, it continues with "Save" is not available...

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,

Geoff

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.18.46 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Preferences > File Handling > Enable Legacy "Save As"

Screenshot 2021-08-25 175402b.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hymakedis 

If you are using Windows, then Preferences is in the Edit menu as per your arrow. For Mac users it is in the Application menu — "Photoshop".

janee_0-1629939437547.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was very hepful.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I am unable to save a .psd or .psb file as jpeg.   I always flatten the image, readjust the image size and reduce the file to 8 bit mode.  This has always worked in the past.  The only choice I get with Save As is jpeg 2000, which gives a .jpf file, this doesn't share well (at all), like on my website, nerver mind as an attachment.

Why is this?  Please restore the format .jpg to the Save As function.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpeg will appear in Save As, if the file is 8 bit, no layers, no transparency and no alpha channels. Those are the forbidden properties that I know of; there may be others. The jpeg format basically supports...nothing at all.

Note that jpeg requires a flat image, which is different from a single layer. The Layers panel needs to read Background, in italics.

In any case, you can restore legacy behavior in Preferences, allowing direct save to jpeg from any file. Or it will be under Save A Copy (which, personally, I think is where it belongs. But that's me 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, jpeg will only appear in the Save As menu if it meets the jpeg spec i.e. has:

1. A single background layer only (note : that is not the same as layer 0 but you can use menu Layer - Background from layer to convert a normal layer to a background layer)

2. No transparency

3. 8 bits/channel only

4. RGB Mode

5. No additional channels beyond RGB (i.e. no Alpha channels)

You can, if you wish,  revert to the legacy Save behaviour in Preferences > File Handling

Dave

Edit   : D.Fosse types much quicker than I do 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can adobe put a button like preserved original size and resolution when saving web or in export way... haha thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines