Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving selections

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm just a beginner and struggling with the basics. I have been working on selections - selecting subjects in a couple of files to be used at a later stage as layers, quite pleased with the results so saved them as selections but now can't find them. They were there for a couple of weeks but this morning the view of the screen was changed and even my tool bar disappeared (restored now). I can see the files I've been working on and can open them but my selections disappeared! I did save them so potentially they should be somewhere there. Where are they saved and in what format? Does this happen often after updates? Don't have this sort of problems with Lightroom.

Many thanks in advance, Grace

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the image and look in the Channels panel. When you save a selection it saves as an alpha channel, which is just an extra channel alongside R, G and B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it disappered from the Chanels and the History panel. What a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this be OK?

Grace231876259guu_0-1645630473758.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you had saved your file as a jpeg, which doesn't suppor alpha channels. Do you still have the original PSD file? They should be there. As long as yu haven't changed the pixel dimensions of the images, y9ou can import them directly into your new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the original RAW file but it was processed in Lightroom before importing it into PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should save as PSD or TIF, not jpg. I like to create layer masks, that way I can always see they are there. Things can get hidden in the channels. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Melissa, all clear now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Grace231876259guu wrote:

Actually it disappered from the Chanels and the History panel.

History is only available while the document is open. It is gone when you close the document.

Also, just because it wasn't mentioned already, to keep the Alpha Channels (saved selections), the document itself needs to be saved. I've seen some users save the selections and then close without saving the document.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's probably what happened, Jane. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Grace231876259guu wrote:

"That's probably what happened, Jane. Thank you!"

You're welcome, @Grace231876259guu. 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines