Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch disk full but PS crashes when starting and holding down ctrl+alt

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

My scratch disk is currently C:\ and I have very little space. I therefore need to move my scratch disk (getting full errors) however PS crashes when I start it and hold down ctrl+alt. 

Also, how long do I hold this keys down during application start? 

Windows 10 professional. 

Thanks for any advice. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

You shouldn't need to hold then for long. Just press Ctrl+Alt and keep them down while you click on the Photoshop icon. Keep them pressed and after a couple of seconds you should see the scratch disk preference dialogue. You can then release them.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of all you need to clear out space on your C drive!

When you get that message, disk space is so low that you will soon have much bigger problems than Photoshop. Your whole machine may freeze up. Consider this an immediate warning.

Once you've done that, you need to add extra disk space, either an additional internal drive, or an external.

Scratch disk is not a Photoshop setting - it's real physical disk space. If you don't have enough, Photoshop can't operate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try to reset the preferences in Photoshop at startup you have to press ctrl + alt + shift.

See here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Sorry, I'm wrong.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't need to hold then for long. Just press Ctrl+Alt and keep them down while you click on the Photoshop icon. Keep them pressed and after a couple of seconds you should see the scratch disk preference dialogue. You can then release them.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines