Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

during editing photos in photoshop shows me pop up message that "scratch disks are full"
I delete all I can and now I have plenty space on disks but this message shows again and again. What can I do please? Thank you
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-scratch-disk-is-full.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultd4ya3uac6qmt wrote:
... now I have plenty space on disks but this message shows again and again.

Unfortunately, you can't win the argument with Photoshop when it says you don't have enough to free space. You have to fix it at your end.

• How much free space do you have (not "plenty")
  • How big is the file you are trying to open?
  • Have you checked, for example, that you have 1000 pixels and not 1000 inches for the document size?
  • Can you open a smaller file?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello,

during editing photos in photoshop shows me pop up message that "scratch disks are full"
I delete all I can and now I have plenty space on disks but this message shows again and again. What can I do please? Thank you

By @defaultd4ya3uac6qmt

One challenge is that “plenty of space” is relative. How much free space does your Mac say it has?

Some Mac users think 20GB free is plenty, and for some kinds of non-graphics work you can drive free space down that far and the Mac still runs OK. But pro graphics applications (photo, video, audio) often make heavy use of large temporary files to take a load off of working memory, so having 100GB or more of free space is more reasonable for those types of applications.

Also, Photoshop often disagrees with macOS about how much free space there is, partly because Photoshop does not appear to count up free space the same way APFS (your Mac’s file system) does, and the way APFS counts free space is confusing anyway. To get past that often means freeing up more space than you think you need.

The size of the Photoshop document affects how much scratch space you should think you need. Small web graphics might be editable with only 20–50GB space available on the scratch volume. But working on large images at print resolution, especially at higher bit depths with lots of layers and masks, may sometimes require 100–500GB of space on the assigned scratch volume. My MacBook Pro doesn’t have that much free space, so I attach an external empty SSD and assign that as my Photoshop scratch volume, and so it’s fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines