Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

See Home Screen on Workspace and Unable to Save

New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 

In all honesty, I am not sure when this started to happen because I have not used Photoshop for about 2 months now, and only just started back up this past week. Any help is much appreciated. I tried to look up fixes on my own but am now at my minds end. 

Photoshop Version: 23.3.2

My System: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MpHD9N

PS, Windows, and GPU all up to date. I use a Wacom Pro tablet and it is also up to date.

Photoshop has been reverting to the homescreen or just not responding while I am working on a piece. It will happen at random times while I work on something. 

Reversion looks like pieces of the homescreen showing through windows, like taking over the history log instead of showing me the history log. If that makes sense.

Not responding is when I can do nothing but 'move' the canvas around, but nothing actually happens. Clicking layers visible on and off shows no changes, and neither does marking on the canvas. I try to save the piece, and it asks me to create a new file when all I clicked was 'save.' I try to just follow the prompts, but nothing is actually saved. In all cases, I have to crash Photoshop, and it will not reopen when I click the icon, but will after a few minutes. All my work is gone from the last save.

What I have tried:
- Reset preferences to default on quit
- Switched scratch disk to a ssd with around 750 GB open for use.
- Enabled and Deactivated Native Canvas - Checking it seems to have increased the time I can work.
- Uncheck Using Graphics Processor - Unchecked, I can't open a file from the Home screen. I check it, open the file, and then uncheck it. Slightly longer time to work.

I do not know how to reproduce this problem. It does not appear that number of brush strokes has an effect, or switiching between files. It will happen with few strokes on one file, or many between 2. 

Photoshop says my graphics card is compatible, but is it possible it is too old for all the newer updates? I know it is 6 years old, haha. 

Thank you for teh help!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had that checked yesterday and the problem persisted.

This morning though, I left it checked, and it worked for the whole time I worked. I double checked my settings, and PS turned off GPU Compositing. It was on yesterday. What is that setting? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe sounds more like something "Disable Native Canvas" would fix by itself.

GPU compositing is a new setting that leverages the GPU to compositing performance on the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully the working trend continues.

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We believe that underlying issues of the Photoshop home screen appearing where the document canvas should be (that were temporarily worked around by selecting the ‘Deactivate native canvas button’ in Technology Preview) have been fixed, and you may now de-select that button for future Photoshop sessions. Please let us know if any of these issues return once the native canvas has been re-activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines