• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Pixel - Keyboard shortcuts location at Photoshop layout.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I want to assign the "A" key to this feature (Select Pixels), but I could not find its place on the photoshop keyboard shortcut layout. Please explain how I can assign keys to this function?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @evelin.design 

Single key shortcuts are assigned to Tools and cannot be reassigned. "A" is shared by the Path Selection tool and the Direct Selection tool.

The easiest way to select the pixel on a layer is to use the built-in shortcut: hold down Command (Win: Ctrl) and click on the layer thumbnail. Will that work for you?

Go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts to change shortcuts. Did you choose Panel Menus from the drop down?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I wrote shortcut `A` as an example, but my main purpose was to assign a key to this feature, but I could not find the location of this function under panel menus or other menu titles.

Instead of creating it by pressing the control key or with an Action shortcut, I want to convert my layer directly to the selected selection with the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. You may have solved this issue, but still, you can create an "action" and assign hotkeys. (auto translate)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way that comes to my mind is to record single step Photoshop action and to assign keyboard shortcut to it.

Start recording action then perform Ctrl + click on layer thumbnail to load selection. You should see step: Set selection and when you expand it there shoukld be To transparency channel as shown on screenshot below.

select pixels step.jpg

Double click on the right side of action name then choose function key which is a must and one or two more modifiers Shift/Ctrl and click OK. That is is, you have assigned shortcut to play action and select pixels on currently selected layer in the Layers panel.

assign keyboard shortcut to action.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, Select Pixels (as found when right clicking a layer thumbnail) does exactly the same thing as Select All which has the the shortcut Ctrl a  As Jane has said, single letter shortcuts are used for Tools (but can be swapped between tools).   However if you do want a single key shortcut for Select All you can use one of the Function keys.  In my experience, the only time the default Function key shortcuts are useful is when using a single small screen — like on a Notebook computer — so I personaly have reasigned most of my function key shortcuts (they are far too precious not to use).

image.png

BTW  I would be interested to hear if Select Pixels  from right clicking a layer means something other than Select All

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You mean right-clicking on layers thumbnail? Good tip but how to assign a
shortcut, I do not see an option.

Bojan Živković

<>
Virus-free.
www.avast.com
<>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines