• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select subject makes a rectangular selection instead of selecting the subject in Photoshop 22.4.1

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the "Select subject" option makes a rectangular selection around the subject instead of following the edges of the person, as shown below.

Captura de Pantalla 2021-08-03 a la(s) 18.46.20.png

This problem only seems to appear on random pictures. That particular one is an Adobe Stock picture (link)

Photoshop version: 22.4.1

Hardware: Late 2015 iMac Retina 4K 21.5

Graphics card: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while trying to use Select Subject. Please update Photoshop to the latest version 22.4.3 & check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while trying to use Select Subject. Please update Photoshop to the latest version 22.4.3 & check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj, the creative cloud hadn't prompt me to update so I thought that I had the latest version, resetting the preferences didn't do anything, but I mannualy searched the option and succesfully updated to the latest version (22.4.3) like you suggested and the problem stopped.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Tiago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the "Select subject" option makes a rectangular selection around the subject instead of following the edges of the person

By @Tiago Martí Porto

I downloaded the same file and it is working perfectly for me. Can you show your layers panel the next time it doesn't work? And confirm you are using Select menu > Subject?

janee_1-1628301415150.png

~ Jane

janee_0-1628301057328.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop also has  a Object Selection tool and other selection tools tools to add and subtract  selected areas.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Object Selection and liked what the OP was asking about better. Select > Subject got it right the first time. Object Selection had some clean-up.

Did you get a rectangle like the OP did?

~ Jane

janee_0-1628303530717.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What  method works best depends on the images content. Select Subject works very well on that image.  On this image. Object Select Tool is a better option.  I also had to use it several time with the Shift an Alt keys to add and remove selected areas. I miss a spot on the leg. It is easy to fix to in the layer mask created.. The first selection here is what Select subject did. I just wanted the foreground guy...

Capture.jpg

If I wanted the whole group the select subject selection would also need a lot of cleanup work.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know the Objetc Selection tool JJMack, thanks for suggesting it! Although I agree with Jane that in this particular image the results where better with Subject Selection. Anyway, updating to latest version solved the problem.

It's hard to believe that merely months ago I was using the pen tool to do this kind of things and now photoshop does it for us automatically, it's marvelous.

Thanks for the help!

Tiago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pen tool is the tool you need to use when the automated selection tools fail to make a good selection.  Some images requires manually selecting the object. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, I was using "Select menu > Subject" just like you said, and kept getting the same result, I attach the full photoshop window with the History panel open to show you, no layer fiddling whatsoever, just opening the jpeg file and doing "Select menu > Subject" and getting the same rectangle every time.

Captura-de-Pantalla-2021-08-07-a-la(s)-00.50.07.jpg

When opening the exact same file from the same location (google drive folder) on a windows PC worked perfect, same photoshop version and all.

I tried resetting the preferences like Nikunj suggested but it didn't work, but then updated to latest version (I don't know why the Creative Clod application didn't prompt me to update, I had to manually search it and do it) and in the latest version (22.4.3) it worked just fine.

Captura-de-Pantalla-2021-08-07-a-la(s)-01.10.05.jpg

Sadly I lost everything that I had customized in my workspace and keyboard shortcuts... 

Thanks for your help!

Tiago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Sadly I lost everything that I had customized in my workspace and keyboard shortcuts... "

Going forward, it's always a good idea to backup your settings

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines