• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Subject not working properly for Apple M1 Max 16"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates to fix the select subject.

I am using Apple M1 Max on Monterey.

Currently using Photoshop 23.1.1 release.

See attachment.

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to see that the "select subject" feature is not working for you. Can you check with a different photo with a contrasting background? What is your system specification? 

Please try disabling OpenCL but leave GPU preference on?

Let us know if that makes any difference.

Similar issues are there, check this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

and our forum discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quot-select-subject-quot-does-not-wor...

Regards,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're sorry to see that the "select subject" feature is not working for
you. Can you check with a different photo with a contrasting background?
What is your system specification?

Still the same effect. Selection is all over the place.

See the attached image for system information.

Please try disabling OpenCL but leave GPU preference on?
No change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We understand your concern. Currently, the issue is under the known issues of Photoshop on M1-based machines. It's under investigation, please stay tuned for any updates on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on when this will be resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try updating Photoshop to 23.2 and check if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue. New Mac Studio M1 Max, Photoshop 23.3.2.

I tried deselecting 'Use Open CL' and still get the issue - see attached.

I have used the select subject feature hundreds of times on similar images on an Intel Mac Mini to great effect. I would expect to do a bit of work around the trainers where the contrast is lower. See the screenshot... it has failed to select the model's head, and hasn't done a good job on the arm and trousers. I rely on this feature professionally and this is going to slow down my workflow immensely. Not acceptable, given this has been a known issue since January?

When will this be fixed? When will we get a high performance app for the M1 chips? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it just not working on that one image? Are there other layers in your document? It's working as expected here on my M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no layers in the image.

Please provide what version on PS you are using along with hardware specs.  Because it what you are using may not be the same setup I am dealing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there was an update to this issue. Subject selection worked great on my Macbook Pro 2018, but I just purchased a 2021 Macbook Pro with M1 Max and it doesn't work correctly in Photoshop or Camera Raw. Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still not working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We understand your concern, and we always want to share a good experience with the users.

Currently, mac M1 machines are seeing some issues. However, things work smoothly with  Rosetta emulation mode. have you tried that option? If not, please try using Rosetta.

To learn how to run Photoshop in Rosetta, see About Rosetta.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was struggling with the same issues. I tried everything until I get the 23.3.0 version with the same problem. So,  I did the opposite. I disable the rosetta option. It works. 

Then I try to enable the OpenCL and it's ok.
So, version 23.3.0 on MacMini M1 16Gb,
OpenCL enable,
Rosetta disable. 
Subject Selection working fine in the same photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

explain exaclty how you turnoff rosetta option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the exact issue im having. Wokred great on my intel based mac but now witht the M1 chip its unsuable. Also if you take the same image and open it in camera raw bridge you will get a differnt result than if you opne the same image in Photoshop and then "shift+cammand+a" and try it in camera raw via photoshop. niether one is good compared to the intel based MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, using 23.3.1 on an M1 Max. Select Subject chooses basically random stuff. Lightroom will perfectly select the subject in the very same images. In looking, there seems to be a TON of peoplewith this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're sorry about the trouble that you see. Which version of macOS are you using? Does it happen with all the images?

Have you tried Rosetta emulation mode? If not, please try using Rosetta.

To learn how to run Photoshop in Rosetta, see About Rosetta.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be fixed now for me now in 23.3.2, but I'm not sure if it is the update or my settings. I did fiddle with my performamce settings a bit. See the included image for settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing the gpu compositiing option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue.

Tried different settings and despite PS 70% of the times manags to select the correct portion of the image, the selection is never smooth, it does random stuff that it never did before, it's also much slower than a 6core i9.

And this is not down to settings as I use the same setting on both machine Intel and Apple Silicon. Results are completely different and much better on Intel...yet

Hopefully we'll see this improved over the next updates

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Brand new M1 Mac Studio, coming from a 2013 Mac Pro with the crappy graphics card. Random selections when hitting Select Subject. If I use the Lasso to do the Object Finder thing, I get expected results though. If I use Select Subject while in Select & Mask, I get the error, "Couldn't find a subject to seilect. There might not be prominent objects to select." That is nonsense since its a portrait of a dark-skinned person wearing a black jersey on a very light gray background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention Photoshop Version 23.3.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you migrate from your old mac to the new one with migration assistant? as if this is the case you must have imported the intel version of PS. 

I realised this was causing me the issue, so i have unistalled PS and re-installed the latest version (also, make sure when you do cmd+i on the PS icon it says "universal" and not "intel")

Since i have done so the select subject starts to run very smooth, quickly and precisely.

Hope this helps!

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolute star! Thanks so much for posting this. I did exactly that - migrated over from my old intel Mac Mini.

I just re-installed and now have the "universal" app, tested select subject, and it now works just as it used to.

I would add, since effecting losing select subject I have discovered the object selection tool, which is also brilliant for making and refining selections quickly.

Thanks again damiano.f!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be a "SOLVED" sticky. Most people are migrating and this should be mentioned by Adobe to existing Photoshop users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines