• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting layers

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like very recently I have been having trouble selecting layers in a graphic.

If I click on a text layer inside the actual graphic it used to highlight the layer in the layers pallet and I could easily move it. Now, I have to double click it to make it editable then go to the move tool to be able to move the layer inside the graphic.

I cannoit select a graphic layer at all.

Is  this something new in Photoshop? I'm guessing no, and certainly hoping it isn't.

If not, any ideas why this is happeninng and what I can do about it.

I have already closed Photoshop and re-booted the computer with no success.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Make sure Auto-Select in enabled in the options bar

2022-03-18 11_30_09-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should @Ged_Traynor ’s post not already have solved the issue (in which case you should mark it as »Correct Answer«) please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To temporary enable/disable suggested option use Ctrl key while Move tool is active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't making any difference. I simply can't selec any text layer without double-clcking on it first. I also can't select any graphic layer in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Auto-Select checked or unchecked? (Asked by @Ged_Traynor )

Is the issue not being able to select a layer or not being able to move it when it is selected?

Are there any padlocks on your layers?

Can you show screenshots? (Asked by @c.pfaffenbichler )

If you can't select layers (and don't want to answer our questions), try resetting your Preferences after backing up customization:

Edit > Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, thanks for all the suggestions.

Second, I am about as far from a PS expert as you can get, so I may sound stupid at times.

This was obviously a more pervasive problem than I thought. It got to the point where I couldn't even bounce back and forth  between files that were alreasy open.

I resorted to your last suggestion, resetting preferances, and that worked. 

Now, all I have to do is remember what my preferances were.

Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @Mesa316 . When Photoshop starts to act "flaky" resetting Preferences will usually fix it unless it's a hardware issue. I'm glad it's working again for you.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines