• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection issue

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I import a photo in PS then i duplicate it , in the first layer i used select subject and the subject was selected and i make a layer mask for the subject ,,, then i came to the second layer and paste the same mask in it and invert it,,,, i was expecting to have the whole picture when i view the 2 masked layers but actually this doesnt happened there is a big empty space shown

I am using PS 23.1.1 on win 10

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ayman5ED5 I see you don't have any replies yet, sorry about that! I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like you are masking a mask. Try only applying the mask to the duplicate layer and then build up layers from there. Keep the original layer intact until you are ready to merge it, turn it off, or do something else for your final result. Hope that's helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply,, really appreciate it ,,, it seems that i didnt define the issue correctly
let me give you a detailed example if you open a portrait photo in PS ,,, ps will create 1 layer with this photo if you use select subject the face will be selected ,, if you mask this selection  then duplicate the layer (with the mask) after that you inverted the mask in the duplicate layer there will be an empty space between the 2 masks in the result shown on canvas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I see, thank you. I can't replicate that. For me, it works correctly. Is it the fine (flyaway) hair on your subject that is causing the issue?

JainLemos_0-1645653264496.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the photo you send,, please select both layers ,, this should show you the complete photo in the canvas,,, but this doesnt happened to me ,, please check the atttachment i send before,,,, Many thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does show the complete photo when both are selected. I just kept the identity private. Send me your photo and I will try the same if you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened on all the photos not just a specific one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's very odd. Does it happen on portraits that don't have a solid color background? Is this particular masking step the only issue you're having with Photoshop? If you don't use "select subject" but instead use the quick selection tool and draw around the subject for your selection and mask, does this still happen? I'm trying to narrow down what is causing the separation. You may need to provide your system info and look into changing some preferences. Have you done that yet? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Really many thanks for your help and support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines