Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection tool restarts my pc

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, 

I have a very annoying problem. Whenever I want to use the 'object selection tool' out of nowhere my entire pc shuts down and restarts itself. same with the 'select -> subject' option my pc shuts down completely and restarts itself. i have no idea what can solve this even though multiple people have the same issue but haven't found a solution. i am using photoshop 2020 and my specs are intel i9-9900, 32GB ram. Let me know if you have a solution for this.

kind regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

I apoligize for my inexact wording, I should have written: Photoshop cannot crash or reboot a modern OS. 

If you initiate such a restart via a Script does Windows just quit other open applications without save-dialogs etc.? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Windows will signal running application to close down if they do not close soon windows give you an option to shutdown anyway. Device divers can crash windows. With all the patches Microsoft had to make over the past 20 years to make windows as robust as it is and with all the bugs Adobe release I would not put money  on Photoshop can not crash or reboot a system. Murphy told me if it can happen it will . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

»Device divers can crash windows.«

But that’s the thing – Photoshop can’t crash a modern OS, but a driver can when Photoshop makes demands on it. 

The distinction may be academic to us Photoshop users in general but the Photoshop team cannot fix the driver (or OS bugs or faulty hardware) … 

»and with all the bugs Adobe release«

Well,  what can one say … the recent Photoshop updates did seem problematic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

I was able to solve this problem myself. I disabled the setting in the bios for the processor turbo mod.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is no proper solution as it invalidates GPU dependent features (like the Rotate View Tool and some Filter acceleration for example) but it hints at problems with the GPU driver. 

And ultimately this seems like a reasonably possible cause – Photoshop itself cannot restart the OS, that takes another component like a low-level driver or even faulty hardware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2 has problems even detecting some users have GPU so freaures that depend on GPU don't function.   21.2 has some major problems.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop would have no problem restarting windows. I do not know about about restarting a Mac operating system I would think I would think Adobe could  if apple has a restart command.

A one line Photoshop script can restart windows.

app.system("shutdown /r /t 0");

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apoligize for my inexact wording, I should have written: Photoshop cannot crash or reboot a modern OS. 

If you initiate such a restart via a Script does Windows just quit other open applications without save-dialogs etc.? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows will signal running application to close down if they do not close soon windows give you an option to shutdown anyway. Device divers can crash windows. With all the patches Microsoft had to make over the past 20 years to make windows as robust as it is and with all the bugs Adobe release I would not put money  on Photoshop can not crash or reboot a system. Murphy told me if it can happen it will . 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Device divers can crash windows.«

But that’s the thing – Photoshop can’t crash a modern OS, but a driver can when Photoshop makes demands on it. 

The distinction may be academic to us Photoshop users in general but the Photoshop team cannot fix the driver (or OS bugs or faulty hardware) … 

»and with all the bugs Adobe release«

Well,  what can one say … the recent Photoshop updates did seem problematic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here.

Every time I select the object selection tool in photoshop, pc does a hard restart.

• win 11
  • CPU : intel Core i9-7980XE
  • 32 GB
  • GPU : AMD Radeon Pro WX7100
  • Photoshop CC2022 (23.0.2 release)

Can anyone help me with this ?

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Frank,

I have the same problem and support can't find a solution for me. Have you found a way to solve this problem in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this was also tried, unfortunately without success. We have removed everything with the cleaner tool. Created a new admin user. Reinstalled. All without success.
This problem only occurs with the latest versions of Photoshop. Version 22 does not have this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say whether you have a crash or a hard restart. If the former, it could be a Photoshop bug (but one that most of us don't see). If the latter, it's 100% certain that the real problem is a driver. And the obvious candidate is the GPU.

FWIW, I just tested Select Subject on a number of images and I have to admit it does a pretty good job. It certainly doesn't crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a hard reset as I also replied above that I have the same problem. Thank you for the answer. It is 100% not the gpu. The gpu driver and associated software has been completely removed. Removed the gpu from the computer and did a test with Intel's onboard gpu. Same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread in "Bugs":

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-object-selection-tool-crashes-photoshop/id... 

Apparently there was a problem in 23.0 that was eventually fixed - but also an issue with a NVidia gaming addition that caused the GPU to crash with certain calls. Uninstalling/disabling that fixed it for some users.

Generally, when installing a new driver, disable everything except the base driver. Unless you're a heavy gamer you don't need any of it. Also check "clean install", which will remove the old driver completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I was looking forward to the new Photoshop update 23.2. and unfortunately had to find out that the problem here still exists and is still not fixed.

It has nothing to do with gaming graphics cards (I don't use them). The problem persists even with the supported onboard GPU of the processor and a fresh installation of the system!

I think the problem has crept in with the M1 architecture of the new Apple processor and hope for a solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jörg,

No I still have the problem, I did not find a solution....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. When I use object selection or quic selection or magic wand tool my computer restart itself. My photoshop version is 2023 and my PC specs is intel i9-9900K, 32 GB RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your CPU temperatures when using these tools. On my 10900k they jumped up as soon as I used these tools which caused a hard reset 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CPU temperature is 45 - 55 centigrade degrees between

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to solve this problem myself. I disabled the setting in the bios for the processor turbo mod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue, thought it was the graphics card driver but it wasn't. Disabling the processor turbo mode from the BIOS as you suggested solved it. 

Thank you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the Correct answer

i have the same issue for a year now and i fixed it like this ,thnx @Denis30280805r6ji 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines