• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

selections in image use anti-aliasing mode when resizing - how to stop that

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using properties panel to change the dimensions of either a pixel layer or selection causes the selection to use anti-aliasing mode. Imagine a filled rectangle- dimensions changed to make it smaller, the rectangle is now filled as though I used the bucket tool with anti-alising selected (transparent pixels along the edges).

How to do I turn this off ? or change the settings to prevent this?

seems to be going back a few versions. been on adobe support 2x and both times - support person tried to update the software, which lost my workspace, keyboard shortcuts and eventually asked to "get back to me".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use vector layer and vector smart object files. Eliminate interpolation when transforming size use vector math instead.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...

extra steps required?

also what is vector math? not pixels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixels will be rendered for the resulting vector graphics transformed size.   The Path is a mathematical plot sizing is a math operation not an interpolation of a raster image pixels.  There are several interpretation you can use to resample are raster image to a different number of pixels   Vector  Shape layer are fill  layers masked by a vector layer mask.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

anti aliasing introduces new colors to the image. this is a problem.

I can resize the entire image using "nearest neaighbor" as the interpolation.

I can also use the bucket tool to fill selections with anti-aliaisng turned off.

this is the one case where I see anti-aliasing (new colors ) appearing without the ability to stop it.

Raster image pixels are my desired outcome.

I am afraid I do not follow the path, vector, shape layer explanation here as I usually avoid them for this process- as these are vector concepts and do not keep my files in good working order. Even when I used illustrator- i rendered in pixels and used raster settings if I could.

so your idea is to use a shape layer and this will eliminiate the anti-aliasing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How Photoshop renders pixels for shapes may well include Anti-aliasing.  However, there is no interpretation of a raster image being done.  Pixels are rendered for mathematically resized vector path for the layers fill and strokes.  Pixels are square so I would think Adobe would use some anti-aliasing to make curves look better.

Why would you not want to make it look like curves exist?  Are you creating a mine craft world

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I just saw this reply....I replied to another thread for another issue I am trying (occassionally ) to resolve.

The outcome is a textile. Every color in the image is a weave structure - a pattern. The additional colors that anti-aliasing creates are a headache. Much effort is spent wisely reducing the colors in an image in order to weave it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe textile designer plugin for photoshop   you may want to looke into that Plug-in

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. This is a print plug in. So, it wont help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you press Ctrl + T, you can change the interpolation setting for it right there at the top of the screen. And that setting stays the same when resizing with Properties. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have option Image Interpolation in Preferences > General. If that does not help to change to say, Nearest Neighbors then pay attention to have pixels aligned to pixel grid because anti-aliasing occurs when pixels are not aligned to pixel grid or when curve is crossing pixel. Otherwise you can add extra step with layer mask which must be modified further for hard edges when working with curved shapes. Modified layer mask is one of the solutions which come to my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

FYI: image interpolation is set to Nearest Neighbor as a default.

so it is not that.

seems as though there is an extra step no matter what- in the case that I am not resizing the entire image.

Interesting suggestion to align pixels to grid- because (if it is the SNAP function). We turn that OFF in order to place pixels where we want them. When SNAP is on...pixels jump left or right- usually away from our desired location 1/2 the time.

I will try  for this process.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines