• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selections made from luminosity masks

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made selections based on luminosity masks, yet when I attempt to make adjustments to my photo, the adjustments are global and not confined to the selected area, as one would expect. Anybody had this experience as well and how can one resolve it? Many . Gavin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You misunderstand what a luminosity mask is - it is a continuous-tone grayscale image. Highlights are more selected, shadows are less selected. Midtones are half-selected. A selection doesn't have to be either/or - a pixel can be partially selected.

Alt-click the mask thumbnail and you'll see. That's how the mask really looks.

The "marching ants" just marks the 50% boundary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your reply. I have watched a few tutorials where luminosity

masks have been generated (lights, darks, mid tones). The photographer

selects the preferred mask, makes a selection from that mask and proceeds

to make adjustments within the selected area. When I do it, the adjustments

are all global so I assume that I'm making an error somewhere along the

line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you get a screen grab of your layers panel for what you are doing? I have a feeling you are not applying the mask to the actual layer.

Are you generating the luminosity masks and seeing them in the channels area?

When you click on one of them, and getting the marching ants look to the selection, are you then applying that selection to a mask on the actual layer?

I'll show you real fast how it's done basically. i have 1 luminosity mask created and saved in my channels panel. (most of the luminosity mask creation plug-in's will create them here...)

1.     CMD+click on the mask in the channels panel. this will show up as the marching ants selection on the image.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 1.59.44 PM.png

2.     Switch over to the layers panel

3.     It should now show you the marching ants on your actual image.

4.     Click on whatever adjustment  you are wanting to work with in the Adjustments panel. for this example, I chose curves.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 2.03.36 PM.png

5.     Once you click on one of the adjustments you want, it will appear as a layer with the mask already there.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 2.04.27 PM.png

Now you can adjust away and it will only go where the mask allows it to go.

You can also do this if you already have the adjustment layer on there by making the selection in the channels panel the same way, but then on your layers panel, click on the adjustment layer and select the mask. Then just fill the selection with black and invert it.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 2.15.12 PM.png

1. Image with the adjustment layer on, but with a full screen mask

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 2.16.18 PM.png

2. After selecting the mask in Channels, I filled the mask with black on the adjustment layer Edit > Fill > choose black in the drop down.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 2.16.27 PM.png

3. Now just invert the mask so it works how you would like the selection adjusted. Hit CMD+i or Using the menu at the top, Select > Inverse.

either of these should help you to get the Luminosity mask applied to your adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel

Many thanks for your reply. The luminosity masks are visible in Channels. I

will definitely check if the selection that has been made is then applied

to the actual layer. I may only be able to try this out later in the week

but will do so and will give you feedback. I really appreciate your

assistance. Regards Gavin

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:23 PM Daniel E Lane <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Glad I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't work in the latest versions of PS. You can create the mask but it won't work, any adjustments will be global.
They sent me an email saying it's not supported anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to an email I got from Adobe today luminosity masking is no longer possible with the latest versions.
I can use LM on my (very) old CS4 but just couldn't get it to work on PS2021. I watched and rewatched all the online tutorials but it just wouldn't work - all adjustments are global.
I started a brilliant PS tutorial from Nucly but a lot of the stuff wouldn't work in CS4, so I upgraded. Trouble is a lot of the stuff in the course doesn't work in PS2021.
I'm not renewing my PS subscriptions, I see no point in paying for something when they are just removing the functionality I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the luminosity masks? If it is something you are wanting to learn more about and plan to use fairly often, you should check out Lumenzia. He has created a plug-in for Photoshop that allows you to create a huge variety of luminosity masks and apply them as a general mask as well as to different adjustments with ease. https://gregbenzphotography.com/lumenzia/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The luminosity masks were generated from an action that I downloaded. It

produces various light, dark and mid tone masks (similar to what Lumenzia

does). I have watched Greg's explanation of what Lumenzia does and as I

understand it, Lumenzia will generate all the luminosity masks and it will

then make a selection based on the selected mask.Am I correct?

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 8:06 PM Daniel E Lane <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines