Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set Default Bit Depth and Colour Space

Participant ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone:

I know where to change my Bit Depth and Colour space on any OPEN image file but is there a way to set default settings for those two variables for EVERY image that I open, not NEW files, existing files?

Thanks,

Miguel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

»If I always shoot RAW in 14 bit, why do the files automatically open in PS as 8 bit?«

Because you apparently set them up that way. 

Why don’t you develop 16bit right away? 

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 16.17.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would likely need to link an Action or Script to the Open-Event in File > Scripts > Script Events Manager. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you may want to think twice about implementing that – conversions mean damage, so one should try to keep them to a minimum when possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ????:

Thanks for your reply. I watched a video by Joel Grimes in which he describes his technique for working in 32 bit by merging three - out of the camera 14 bit bracketed-files.  I understand your concern with regard to messing with the original files but near the end of the video, it appears that he sets those variables as defaults and was curious as to where.

If I always shoot RAW in 14 bit, why do the files automatically open in PS as 8 bit?  What happens to the files if I change the Mode to either 16 or 32?

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»If I always shoot RAW in 14 bit, why do the files automatically open in PS as 8 bit?«

Because you apparently set them up that way. 

Why don’t you develop 16bit right away? 

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 16.17.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»What happens to the files if I change the Mode to either 16 or 32?«

If one starts with 8bit and converts to 16bit that may be beneficial for extreme Adjustments (in particular multiple ones) but it does not recreate the data one may have destroyed by processing the RAW images as 8bit RGB images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I usually begin in LR and was completely unaware of the fact that I could select 16 Bit as the default during importing there - I wrongly presumed that it would import the 14 bit by default - or in Camera RAW.  Thanks so much for pointing that out.

Do you have any idea what happens to the thousands and thousands of images I have in my LR Catalogue in that regard?  I've always shot RAW so is the original image Bit Depth embedded regardless and available or have I permanently lost that information?

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you kept the RAW images the 14bit your camera/s captured are still there. 

Photoshop only offers 1bit, 8bit, 16bit and 32bit (and indexed). 

But Photoshop’s 16bit is actually not 15bit times two but 15bit plus one, so a lot of people have already been annoyed at that; the reason for that was, as far as I know, that mathematical operations for Blend Modes, Filters, … would benefit from the existence of an actual middle value. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your help and patience with this.  Yes, I keep the original RAW... well DNG files.

I searched some more at my end and discovered that even in LR, setting the default Import Bit Depth to 16 is primarily for viewing and that regardless files are Exported with the original Camera Bit Depth of 14.

Again, thanks and have a wonderful day,

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit Depth to 16 is primarily for viewing and that regardless files are Exported with the original Camera Bit Depth of 14.

Hi Miguel, You should be able to export a true 16-bit per channel image from LR.

Here is a 16-bit  TIF from LR with a number of layer adjustments added in Photoshop, and you can see the histogram has no gaps. If I convert the file to 8-bit, you can see the gap damage being caused by the layer adjustments:

Screen Shot 33.png

Screen Shot 34.png

If you are trying to get 16-bit output by placing a 16-bit per channel image format in a pagelayout, InDesign will always export or print it as 8-bits—print halftone screens are not capable of outputting more than 8-bit. The only way to get 16-bits out of InDesign or Illustrator is to Save As PDF with no Compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good illustration! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines