Exit

Severe Lag and UI Issues - Recent Updates

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2023 Version: 24.0.1 20221111.r.112 a12a934 x64

For Windows 10

Earlier this summer, Photoshop was up-to-date and working perfectly fine. It was able to handle large projects with multiple layers and several overlapping groups in the timeline. But with the previous couple updates, the entire program has been basically unusable for a couple of months now. There is a constant, rapid flickering across the entire UI to the point that it looks like pop-up menus are closing and re-opening at a breakneck speed, it lags when opening even a single (small) image, I cannot drag-and-drop a layer from one file to another, and trying to select any of the tools or close a layer style sub-menu or open/close the export sub-menu renders the entire thing frozen for at least a full minute. All this and even having Photoshop open (just the program, not even a file or doing any work) is now using ~40-60% of all available memory, meaning I cannot  have anything else open or running simultaneously.

I tried to tough it out over the past smaller updates believing that one of them would fix the issue, but now a large update has dropped (the 2023 version) and the problems persist. I would include a gif or video of the issues, but it would just be several minutes of endlessly flickering while sub-menus refuse to close.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

What are some things you've tried?
Did you try 

Go to Preferences - Technologhy Preview - Check "Deactive Native Canvas" and Check "Older GPU mode". ?

What is your CPU, RAM, and GPU?
I'm using Windows 10, and both Intel/Ryzen work comfortably.
I think you should record what you're going through and show me. (If the computer itself is lagging, take a picture of the monitor with your cell phone...)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are some things you've tried?
Did you try 

Go to Preferences - Technologhy Preview - Check "Deactive Native Canvas" and Check "Older GPU mode". ?

What is your CPU, RAM, and GPU?
I'm using Windows 10, and both Intel/Ryzen work comfortably.
I think you should record what you're going through and show me. (If the computer itself is lagging, take a picture of the monitor with your cell phone...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This solved my microstutter/microlag too! Thanks so much. It was driving me crazy, as I'm sitting with 16GB RAM and a 3080Ti and couldn't believe at all that my PC was the issue.

The microstutter was driving me insane, but this solution solved it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I didn't even know Older GPU mode was an option, but it did the trick! I've got a new-ish Nvidia and everything is up-to-date so I'm not sure what broke, but PS seems to be functional again. Hopefully no more issues arise. Thank you so much 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad the problem has been solved. Several GPU-related issues have arisen from previous versions (I don't remember the exact version). 23.4.1? 23.4.2?), For the most part, checking that option seems to solve it.
I hope Adobe can fix the problem you've been through. Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines