• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut to select 50% luminance pixels

New Here ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous versions of Photoshop (like up through CS6), I was able to use a shortcut key in Windows of Ctrl + Alt + ~ to select all pixels that were 50% luminance or greater.

However, in PS 2023 (24.4), this shortcut doesn't work. It was probably an undocumented shortcut in previous versions.

But I had it recorded in a macro and was wanting to replicate the macro in PS 2024.

Any suggestions on how you can select all pixels that are 50% luminance. Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) CTRL/CMD + ALT/OPT + 2

2) Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > tick the "Use Legacy Channel Shortcuts" checkbox then use CTRL/CMD + ALT/OPT + ` (~) 

EDIT: I believe that this is also the same as CTRL/CMD clicking on say the RGB or other composite channel in the channels panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nevermind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But note that this isn't a hard cutoff 50% or more selection! It's a luminosity selection, which is a whole other thing. A luminosity selection goes gradually from 0=least selected to 255=most selected.

Don't be confused by the marching ants. That just marks where the pixels are 50% selected, but the selection itself is gradual.

If you really need a hard either/or selection, I would do that with a Threshold layer copied into a layer mask. I'm sure there are other ways; that's just how I would do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse 

Yeah, I've always thought that the wording is a little confusing:

sel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might find Sven Stork's free Luminosity Mask extension useful. It's a useful tool for targeting specific tonal ranges when using adjustment layers.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines