• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show selection outside the canvas (Ctrl+click layer)

Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! recently started using the newest version of photoshop and I cannot figure out how to enable the selection to show outside the canvas when ctrl+clicking the layer. Please help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yk8ft545n1-jJgAcxt9Vk4AeNu4Zp6j6/view?usp=share_link 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try enabling show transform controls while using the move tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, just shows the square around the layer boudaries.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Show > Layer Edges.  It shows a blue outline around selected layers, but does not show the shape of the item outside the document boundry.   There is Image > Reveal All, but that does not show selections outside the canvas either.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not the box, sorry. I need to see the actual shape of the layer when you ctrl+click on it and the selection goes around it. (marked green on the pic)11.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't aware that this was ever possible in Photoshop.  Are you saying that this used to work for you in previous versions?  You could Add Canvas if that helps, but you will have already thought of that.   Is there a particular problem that you could maybe come at from a different direction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not just saying, I'm showing it in the video, please click on the link. 

I need that so I can see the whole template(s) that I'm using, so that I can properly center it around the image. It has to be this way and not the other way around since I'm editing a 3d model's texure that has to fixed in position and size. When the template is placed around it, I fill it with black and the 3d program i'm using will crop out the black color. It's not not a big deal but it was much easier to do with photoshop cc. Now there is room for the error and more time to spend correcting it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see what you mean.  I take it you no longer have the previous version installed?  The best I do for you now is to invite @davescm to the thread as he used to use Photoshop 3D.  BTW, I am sure you know we can now access some Substance Materials with V24 ?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the old one, however I'm using the new tools from v24. So I'd have to go back and forth if I want to do that lol. I'll try to request a feature. And no, i did not know about the materials, thanks for showing me. In general I'm thrilled with new PS version 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would using the Crop Tool to see the whole layer outside the document bounds work?

You can move the object around while Crop is active.

Screenshot-(59).png

Looks like photoshop cs4 thru photoshop cc 2015 were the versions that could display selections outside the canvas bounds. Maybe someone from Adobe will see your post and provide an explanation for the change.

Or you could make a feature request here on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unfourtunately it does the same thing as before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a video on how to do it on Illustrator https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRlc2KcW9w.

But I'm not able to find how to do it in photoshop. It's crazy this is actually normal for people lol. Who designs like this? It's crazyy> I want previous photoshop 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines