• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple things like fill and crop suddenly not working anymore in Photoshop, what is the problem?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not uncommon for Photoshop and other Adobe products to be unintuitive and appear broken. So can someone tell me, is this a bug or did i configure something wrong that results in the crop tool and fill not working correctly anymore? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @thomaswefact we see you have the crop tool selected but you have not commited the crop or canceled it when trying to fill.  What happens if you select whatever crop you want and THEN try to fill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert

Thanks for the reply.

The crop tool, as you can see, didn't work either. At least not how I am used to it, click and dragging it usually creates the crop. But this time I couldn't. No idea what triggered Photoshop into this behavior. I closed and deleted the file and can't really reproduce it. But Photoshop has unexpected behavior for me ever so often. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@thomaswefact a good thing to do when issues like this come up is the reinstall clean prefs as a way to get back to a clean install.  Follow these directions and see if it helps.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually  

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Ever so often" is not too bad 🙂

About a dozen times a year I get very weird PS behavior, even when I think anything memory related is just fine. Restarting PS fixes it. Thing is to recognize weird behavior a.s.a.p., so you can still save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines