Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Skratch disk and Photoshop temp files issue

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello frends,
I am working on the project right now and my work file is around 4gb *.psb.
Here is my problem...

Dimitar21803985wbzn_0-1637168922833.png

Can i reduce somehow numbers and size of this tmp files?
Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Yes, this is all perfectly normal and fully expected, and a good illustration of real world disk space requirements.

This will only grow as you accumulate history states, each of which potentially up to the full uncompressed file size. And if you have more than one file open, each of them needs their own disk space, again according to how many history states are active. And then on top of that, smart objects have a lot of overhead adding to the original file size.

If you're working with big

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Are those file present only when Photoshop is running? That would be normal, but I would expect one of them, not several.

Does the file have smart objects? That could also explain it. If the files are still there when photoshop is closed, then it might have closed unexpectedly, and you could delete the leftover temporary files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for the quick answer.
Yes, my work file contain a lot of smart objects.
The file im working on is my primary exporter to generate assets for my project.
Many of that smart objects are linked to external psd or png files.
When i close photoshop all temp files are gone without leftover temp files.
But when im working on the file that make my workstation laggy.
Today i have upgrade my workstation with 2tb ssd to avoid "skratch disk is full - error msg" while saving the project file.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is all perfectly normal and fully expected, and a good illustration of real world disk space requirements.

This will only grow as you accumulate history states, each of which potentially up to the full uncompressed file size. And if you have more than one file open, each of them needs their own disk space, again according to how many history states are active. And then on top of that, smart objects have a lot of overhead adding to the original file size.

If you're working with big files, you should consider 500 GB a realistic minimum. If you want to have good working headroom, 1 TB or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
This happens when i open one not many files.
I tried to decrese the history state from 50 defaoult to 5 but without improvements.
In case of lower history states my file still geneare same amount of temp files.

Anyway, thank you for the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, multiple temp files are explained by the fact that the file has several smart objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines