• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type layer slows down whole photoshop - Selecting, Transforming and scrolling fonts

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic was discussed in 2017. We are i almost 2022 and still there is no fix for that. Creating any text layer slows down whole program. Searching for fonts through list is a tragedy. Selecting text layer is lagging
Adobe please do something with that.

1. Version 23.0 - but like i said it's been over 3 years...
2. Windows 10
3. Create a text layer, paste some text (better more than less) in to it.
4. Expected result: i'd like to work with the same speed as always. Actual result: Everything is lagging.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*update* I was wrong, it's a 2 second lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is useless in my case also. I do sound effects in comics, so i need to transform the text, not just switch font size. It is laggy as [removed] on big images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In free transform mode Photoshop is quickly generating preview to speed up process and you are not seeing final image or text in your case but rather quick preview which looks pixelated. You can use type options to scale text as already suggested. There isn't option in preferences to generate highest quality preview during free transform which is not recommended for text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same critical bug you are. Any idea what version we can roll back to until Adobe fixes this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm... seems like the oldest one that creative cloud will let me revert to also has painfully slow transforms...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's a specific version problem. It's been there as long as I can remember, and I've been using after effects for almost 18 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a youtube video where in the first few seconds someone is scaling text without delay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P01qAn52Y8

On my beefy machine, it's at least 10x slower.

In this tutorial, you will learn how to use Paragraph Styles in Photoshop to speed up your workflow, and how free-transforming text negatively impacts your result. 📘 INDEX - Scaling Text and the Paragraph Style Issue 00:00 - Introduction 00:54 - Paragraph Styles Explanation 03:25 - Paragraph ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I thought that was another thread I was subscribing to. Yeah the text scaling problem is ridiculous, It was much smoother on my laptop back in 2000,- this must be some sort of  bug whith system/ software / hardware interfering with each other. I'm running an Intel i9-10940x 14 thread CPU, 128 GB of ram, and RTX 2080 super with NVME SSDs. This is a joke really. And Adobe's response was a tutorial on how not to scale a text because it's bad practice. I've been scaling it without problem on huge 300dpi projects and now I can't even move it without 2 seconds lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*edit* Ignore my first reply 🙂 Sorry, I thought that was another thread I was subscribing to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun fact - I'm experiencing similar although milder issues in illustrator too. Might be something going on with GPU drivers or sth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another fun fact - I've just checked, with recent updates text transform is fully DISABLED or not working. I can't even move it after ctrl+T. There's a transform frame, but It can't be transformed in any way, not moved even.

It used to work in such a way, that when you scaled the text it automatically recalculated text font size and line height. They messed it up. Adobe, please stop messing with software my life depends upon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. I've narrowed it down to the anti-aliasing mode on the live text. If you set it to None it transforms a little faster, but not as fast as if you make an empty layer and Link it with the live text layer and transform them both. That's a hack of course, but it looks like the anti-aliasing engine is going bananas trying to do it's thing in real-time during transform. Linking it with a raster layer seems to switch how it behaves internally. I'd love if this was fixed properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences > Performance... is Use Graphics Processor checked? If it is, can you uncheck and restart and let me know if it's just as slow or better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it would be good to know if you're using the latest version (22.5.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope no one feels offended by that comment 🙂 We all try and do our best 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now with actually constructive comment:
It better than I previously reported few months back - there was a significant lag of even few seconds when operating on a simple 4k file. It's down to a second or less - really depends on the resolution. Up to full hd it's barely noticeble.  BUT I've changed my graphics card to 3090 so the performance boost might be cause by it, use graphics card option is checked, all drivers, system files and adobe software up to date.
High DPI stuff - allpls [removed by moderator] still breaks loose.
after "rasterize type" it's all super fluid and realtime btw. Didn't you guys mess with type functionalities about two years ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "High DPI stuff" what are the pixel demensions where all hell breaks loose? Is it all fonts? What point size is the text? How much text is in the box you're transforming? If you can post a PSD that reproduces when all hell breaks loose, that might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how packing tons of forced "new features" into a thirty year old tech ends up.
....bugs on bugs on bugs on some features bla bla more bugs..

And no one even knows what causes what anymore. It's pure nonsense.
Basic feature: TRANSFORM.
YEAR: 2021

TASK: Just make it responsive.
That's it. I mean how hard can it be?
It's 2021 for crying outloud. My GPU could probably find the cure for cancer,  and yet it can't move <removed> in two dimensions in 4k fluidly! I mean, for crying out loud. Can I speak to whoever is in charge of supervising this basic tool?
- You mean the user experience junior social media communications office manager associate?
- Yes, probably that's the person.
- Hello, did you try and use a different tool?
- No further questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the sudden, after never having had a problem before, my Type tool in Photoshop is suddenly lagging to the point of being unusable.

The problem seems specific to Photoshop. I use the Type tool in Illustrator with no issues at all.

I have tried Reset Preferences on Quit, changing the Font Preview size to None, and uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop with no problem. 

The issue seems to be entirely connected to the Type tool. If I draw a rectangle, let's say, there's not the same lag.

I looked on the forums but none of the suggested solutions have thus work. Any help will be very appreciated???

I recently updated to Photoshop 2022. Using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue since updating to 2022. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a weird workaround: Put the text layer in a group and then scale the group, not the text layer. It will scale and move MUCH faster. I've tried it both in 2020 and 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG. It Works. You should spread this solution all over the place! The difference is surreal! Thank you so muthc for this! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this? Im having the same issue. On a workstation with 12 cores and 64gb of ram. Shouldnt be an issue. Running on Photoshop 23.1.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:white_question_mark:

Sadly no. I just started creating my type in Illustrator then copy/pasting it into PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo_0-1644153657017.png

Has anyone found a solution to this? Im having the same issue. On a workstation with 12 cores and 64gb of ram. Shouldnt be an issue. Running on Photoshop 23.1.1.

By @TheFiend

I can't confirm any of your findings. Similar CPU like yours (AMD Ryzen 9 5900X) and 64Gb ram, rather week old graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

Photoshop text layers work as expected. Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.0.2 20211119.r.101 ace26c0 x64.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines