Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Slow in scaling text, and moving in free transform

New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can someone help me?

I'm working with design in A3 size and 100ppi, but when i want to scale some text(even a word) its gets heavy and lag when scaling. But after confirm size, it became smooth again

here is my system info

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is

piuds_0-1590927158188.pngpiuds_1-1590927180772.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Instead of scaling, use the Text Size control in the options bar, Character panel, or Properties panel.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but this is just a weak response. I'm having issues too. I'm on top workstation, and yet I get enormous lag when transforming text. Sometimes is much faster than typing in values, and sometimes you just want to scale unproportionately.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... sometimes you just want to scale unproportionately

By @pikok85

To scale disproportionally, you can use the vertical or horizontal scale in the Character panel.

jane-e_0-1620824622723.png

Jesús Ramirez explains the issues with using Transform with text in Photoshop in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P01qAn52Y8

It's not the same in Illustrator, btw. You can use Transform or the Character panel interchangeably there.

We are users on this forum, so if you want to report the lag while using Transform as a bug to Adobe, you can do that here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/

~ Jane

In this tutorial, you will learn how to use Paragraph Styles in Photoshop to speed up your workflow, and how free-transforming text negatively impacts your r...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the effort, you're missing the point though. Transform tool for text is unusable for me in PS. It's so laggy I can't even control it properly. It's a second long lag and I'm not exaggerating. I can't even use it like the guy in the first few seconds of the video. There's no preview and the transform tool jumps all over the place. I'm on 128 gigs RAM i9-10940X machine. It worked better in 2001 on my laptop.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*update* I was wrong, it's a 2 second lag.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is useless in my case also. I do sound effects in comics, so i need to transform the text, not just switch font size. It is laggy as [removed] on big images

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In free transform mode Photoshop is quickly generating preview to speed up process and you are not seeing final image or text in your case but rather quick preview which looks pixelated. You can use type options to scale text as already suggested. There isn't option in preferences to generate highest quality preview during free transform which is not recommended for text.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same critical bug you are. Any idea what version we can roll back to until Adobe fixes this?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm... seems like the oldest one that creative cloud will let me revert to also has painfully slow transforms...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's a specific version problem. It's been there as long as I can remember, and I've been using after effects for almost 18 years.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a youtube video where in the first few seconds someone is scaling text without delay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P01qAn52Y8

On my beefy machine, it's at least 10x slower.

In this tutorial, you will learn how to use Paragraph Styles in Photoshop to speed up your workflow, and how free-transforming text negatively impacts your r...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I thought that was another thread I was subscribing to. Yeah the text scaling problem is ridiculous, It was much smoother on my laptop back in 2000,- this must be some sort of  bug whith system/ software / hardware interfering with each other. I'm running an Intel i9-10940x 14 thread CPU, 128 GB of ram, and RTX 2080 super with NVME SSDs. This is a joke really. And Adobe's response was a tutorial on how not to scale a text because it's bad practice. I've been scaling it without problem on huge 300dpi projects and now I can't even move it without 2 seconds lag.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*edit* Ignore my first reply 🙂 Sorry, I thought that was another thread I was subscribing to.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun fact - I'm experiencing similar although milder issues in illustrator too. Might be something going on with GPU drivers or sth.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another fun fact - I've just checked, with recent updates text transform is fully DISABLED or not working. I can't even move it after ctrl+T. There's a transform frame, but It can't be transformed in any way, not moved even.

It used to work in such a way, that when you scaled the text it automatically recalculated text font size and line height. They messed it up. Adobe, please stop messing with software my life depends upon.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines