Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slowness and lag in Photoshop 22.5.1 on Windows 10

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, let's go:
Photoshop version v22.5.1 but I'm testing version 21.2.12 and the problem remains.
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
GPU - RTX 2080 Super
GPU Driver - Nvidia Studio 472.12

Windows version 10, version 21H1 with all updates.
I have two 27" monitors, both Full HD (1920x1080) 144HZ.

Delays always occur when zooming in on the material I'm working on, slowness when opening boxes like Blending Options, applying styles and changing fonts.

Opening the Photoshop preferences box takes 2 seconds to open and it always happens.

In the GOOGLE DRIVE I tried to show the slowness in simple actions recording my screen. 

I believe I was clear about my pc information.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Does Photoshop perform better with the option to Use Graphics Processor disabled from Preferences, then performance?

You can also try optimizing the Preferences of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I add my own system details below where I do not have such lags. I do this, not to suggest there is no problem, but to help developers in the location of the problem for those experiencing such lags on their systems.
Photoshop 22.5.1
CPUIntel 10920X

GPU NVidia RTX3090 (Studio driver 471.41)

128GB RAM

Scratch disk on NVMe 2TB drive with over 1TB free space
Windows 10 v21H1.
Images stored on several 2TB SSD drives all local
2 Eizo CS monitors each 2560x1440

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi have you tried to work with only one monitor (the other disconnected)?

Only to see if the problem is monitor (graphic card) related...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video of the lag for 2020 that never got fixed on 2021, I moved back to 2018. 
Simple tool changes, making shapes are grindingly slow. 
Ryzen 9

gtx 1080ti

64 gigs of 3400 ram

win 10

Same issue for mac pro 2019
2.7GHz 12-Core Xeon E5-2697v2 processor
48GB memory
256GB Solid-State Drive
AMD FirePro D500 x 2 with 3GB VRAM

-------
Things tryied, turning on an off graphics card

removed preferences 

tuned graphics card to adobe suggested settings

unistalled/ reinstalled 

went through the optimizing setting

new user profiles

https://youtu.be/-DJrn2ICxUo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two computers.  One runs Photoshop well and one doesn't.  The faster, higher priced machine (Ryzen Threadripper, 128G RAM, big graphics card) is the one that fails.  The old, garden-variety PC all-in-one (I7 w/32GB and on-board graphics) works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe shut down and locked the other thread complaining about lag in Photoshop.

Funnny how another one opens up? It's almost like despite "Adobe Community Professionals" best effort to say that everything is flowers and roses over at Adobe, it's not.

So here I am since this is still an issue and has been an issue for 3 releases now.

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TURN OFF GPUs, GO BACK TO 2018 FOR A STABLE RELEASE, OR REMOVE MONITORS.

Like, for real, these are "solutions" no other company demands for their products to work, and Adobe also didn't used to demand. It's even more insulting considering most of those programs that are more stabl, somehoe are less than it costs for a single month of Creative Cloud. And what makes these solutions even more worthless, is that in 3 months when Adobe releases their next update all that will likely get wiped and need to be done again.

No other program do I need to go into source files and make changes. No other program do I need to turn offmy GPU. No other program does it get worse and worse every year like crative cloud.

For real Adobe, one year - no new features, just optimize. Catch up with the bohemoth you've built and actually make it usable again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya I totally agree, Adobe is a complete joke. It's becuse they have a monoply. Pretty much every creative professional has creative cloud. It's just standard. So they know they don't really have to try, but people will stay pay. I have never experinced bugs like Adobe's in other program.
In Blender, I reported a minor bug and within a few hours, one of the lead developers personally responded and opened a bug report. Got sent an automatic update once it was fixed a few weeks later. Unlike a Adobe, they're not a monoply so they actually try.

I hate Adobe so much lol...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly enough, I have almost the same PC and Monitor specs, except I have 5TB SSD and 64GB ram. I also noticed Photoshop is getting really laggy, which I've never seen before. Guess I need to try turning off the GPU option as nikunj suggested. Disappointing to pay for high quality gear and then have to disable it.

Hope it fixes the issue. Gotta meet deadlines!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2022 is even worse very slow and lagging when changing between the tools
even that i have a strong machine here
thats really silly , we dont want any #### new futures if the perfermonce is like that ....
the focus should be more on perfermonce , thats the main thing our busniess are running on
omg how many time we need to tell adobe developers about this !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Ryzen 3700x / RTX2070 Super, single 27 inch monitor, working on SSD drives.

Photoshop (latest version) gets abnormally slow and laggy. I am working just on single file ( web resolution graphics ) and it takes few seconds to zoom, change tool, while I save document, it stops totally respond for a minute.

But it seems to be better when I close Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I came here to say this too. I actually noticed on the last update but it appears ot be even worse in this one. Unbelievable lag/hangs and now even crashes. 

I have a powerhouse laptop that can handle anything and PS has runn smooth as silk until the couple of updates. I was hoping this update would fix it but it hasn't. 

Adobe QA is, and has always been, non existent. We, the paying customer, are their QA guineepigs. I've already lost 30 mins of my work day today from a PS crash.

dragging images into a photoshop file now hangs for 20-30 seconds. The transform tool hangs for 20-30 seconds. There is lag all over the place.

My stats are:

Win10 Pro.

Intel i9 9900k
64gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 2080 
SSD drives for both working files and OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it just crashed again!! I dared to use the magic wand tool and clicked on something! 

Photoshop hasn't crashed on me in years and now this update it's happening multiple times a day using different functions! 

Dear Adobe, TEST YOUR PRODUCTS BEFORE LAUNCH PLEASE! We are not paying to be your QA service!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And changing a fairly simple file's image size from to about 5k wide to 10k wide is taking over 10 minutes and still not completed...thsi version of PS is a total mess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After making all the suggested changes to configuration and killing background processes in Win10, I am still seeing laggy behavior. In particular, I notice it most when:

1. Trying to zoom in or out from the 100% view. I suspect the app has to fully render the 100% view whenever you set that zoom value, then subsequent zooming in/out away from 100% is pretty quick, as it used to be.
  2. When I select an area on a give layer, then attempt to transform the content using ctl+T, things get really laggy. Especially if I rotate or use the arrow keys to move something in a precise way. However, if I disable the transform function and simply select, then move via arrow keys, things work much more quickly like they used to. Again, I suspect this has to do with the rendering engine process after each change to the pixels selected.
  3. Working with placed smart objects (linked or embedded) shows similar lag as in #2 above. If I skip using the Transform feature (ctl+T), the app is quicker, but I can't rotate objects as conveniently without it. As I work with fantasy cartography quite a bit, furnishing custom maps, I almost always need to rotate an object very slightly this way or that.

Hope they address the issue sooner than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am observing slow work. My machine is noticeably weaker than many here, but the problem is only in the latest version of Photoshop. If you work for photoshop version older than 20.0.5, there are no problems.

The problem is the normal dragging and dropping of an object on the canvas. The latest version of Photoshop 2022 is very difficult to work with because of the lags. It feels like the FSP drops to 10. I'm attaching a video so you can better understand what we're talking about. It's been over a year, but the problem has not been solved in any way.

I have tried different versions of the drivers. Both Studio (472.47) and Game Ready (496.49).

System:
CPU: intel i3 8100 (4 core)
RAM: 24GB ddr4
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB

Exactly the same situation on a laptop with Intel UHD integrated graphics and Intel i5 1035G1 processor

The video on the left shows Photoshop 23.0.1, on the right 20.0.5

Video: https://disk.yandex.ru/i/KuCSk6Ierwm1-Q

p.s.

I already wrote about it here exactly one year ago, but my message went unnoticed.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/new-photoshop-works-slower/m-p/115830...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so did anyone yet get help with this insane ridiculous issue? i cant get anyone from the company to help resolve this massive laggy mess.

what can we do at this point becuase adobe dropped the ball big time ! what i still dont understand is how can such a massive "professional " company be even dealing at this child level behavior / production.... i simply cant wrap my head arund how Adobe is not making this the #1 priority !!! this is just bonkers. iv been using photoshop for over 20 years and lets just say this has to be the biggest failure yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm certain they are aware of these issues at this point. Most likely this is because of ps shoveing 25 years of code bloat into the program. They most likely will have to rewrite the program and their stalling because they can get away with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They just don't want to spend the money to fix the communication for the GPU and CPU.

Lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> In the GOOGLE DRIVE I tried to show the slowness in simple actions recording my screen. 

watched. Compared to mine, your runs like a lightning)

Mine sometimes stucks for 10 seconds after each action. Moreover, it changes the icon but not really switches the instrument on pressing Z or ctrl+space for zoom in/out. Then, when unstuck, it draws lines with whatever you had before.

One thing is I am a bit of a slow worker (as a beginner), but that just drives crazy sometimes.

I do retouching and editing photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

Same issues here. I have both the 2019 and latest version installed 23.1. 

I went trough all the suggested settings and I had chats with adobe but no luck.

Lagging big time even when I just close or save a files everything freezes for few seconds. 2019 no issues. 

CPU i9-9900K
RAM 64 DDR4

GPU 1080ti

NVME drives etc.

1 Monitor, Viewsonic Elite

Lately I installed windows 11 infact I don't even bother asking adobe's help again as they will point out that I have windows 11. Still when I use the 2019 I have no issues. Blender no issues, Zbrush no issues. You can't compare affinity with photoshop. Affinity is fresh and new. The code is probably lighter and not bloated. Photoshop is ancient now. Like someone mentioned they now about the issues. They just keep adding features nobody asked for just to attract the everyday hobbiest. At fresh install the first thing I remove is that ugly HOME SCREEN, and switch everything to Legacy, like new document and transform. 

Re. fixes the only fix that worked for some was holding SHIFT while clicking the icon to open photoshop. This will remove any plugins from the start. For me it didn't help hopefully someone will benefit from this. 

Etienne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here as described above.

Win10

10980xe

64GB DDR4

RTX 3080 latest drivers

SSD intel optane 905p and p4800x for app and assigned scratchdisks in photoshop.

First time using the transform tool every session consistently hangs the program for 6-10 seconds. Some tools also hang when switching to them for the first time. The mac version doesn't have any of those issues running on my ancient macbook pro built by dwarves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryzen 5950

RTX 3080

64GB RAM

NVME SSD (6GB/s write)

Performance is terrible. Zooming  is awful. Free transform leaves borders until I use scroll or zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues as you. I've just rolled back to 2018. Up to this day is the fastest working one for me. 

Photoshop 23.2 lags when switching tabs, zooming in and out, saving.. etc. Sometimes when it hangs and change the window size it fixes the hang and have decent performance for minute. 

I've tryed every little tweak suggested in the forums. No luck with the new version. Illustrator is buggy as well for me. 

These are my specs: 

Ryzen 9 5900X

RTX 3070

64 GB Ram

Plenty of NVME SSD. 

3x1080p displays.

Windows 10 Pro 21H1

No problems with non Adobe Software. 

Hopefuly the next patch will fix alot of the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines