• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

smart object canvas size not carrying over to parent file

Enthusiast ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a smart object of say 300x400 that has transparent BG, consisting of texted placed in center of canvas. When I bring into the parent file, the bounding area of that smart object closes in to just the text region, and I lose the size of the smart object canvas, where I need that layer to stay 300x400, instead of 100x200 which is the text edges. How can I make that smart object carry that 300x400. If I turn on a color fill in the artboard within the smart object the size stays.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When one transforms a Smart Object the Bounding Box should correspond to the SO’s full size, so what situation are you talking about exactly? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to clarify? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the smart object

Todd_Morgan_2-1685531058752.png

and here is same SO in my layer and you can see how the boundary is not the same.

Todd_Morgan_3-1685531123606.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without the pertinent UI elements I do not consider screenshots useful. 

Please post the requested screenshots. 

Are you using the Move Tool with »Show Transform Controls« checked? 

If so: Why?

And what happens if you click/drag one of the handles? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how UI elements will help you. And "why" checked Show Transform Controls??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Show Transform Controls« is, in my opinion, worthless. 

And in your case it seems to be a source of confusion (though I admit that the feature might be badly implemented, so you could post a Feature Request or Bug Report). 

Why are you using it at all instead of relying on the Smart Object’s actual Bounding Box as indicated when invoking Edit > Free Transform? 

As for screenshots: If you don’t want to provide the screenshots I asked for I don’t see a point in following up on this further. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on handle the actual boundary of the SO appears... but I want that boundary to stay. For example... I want the SO to align to artboard edge - and it does so but using the text as the boundary, not the SO boundary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what happens when I click on handle:

Todd_Morgan_0-1685533579042.png

but as you can see when aligning along bottom of artboard the SO uses the text not the actual SO boundary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try a fairly dirty work-around … one pixel top left and one pixel bottom right at 1% Opacity (and 50% Fill or thereabouts) in the SO. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines