Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Object Pixelation Issues

Participant ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Why is it that some logos I bring into Photoshop as smart objects look fine while others look pixelated? Is there anything I can do to improve that?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 15, 2014 Mar 15, 2014

Select the Smart Object layer, start a Free Transform (dont actually change the transform), and in the options bar turn on antialiasing, then commit the transform (again, without changing anything but the antialiasing checkbox).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information? Are the logos vector or pixel, what are their dimensions, …?

What is your Image Interpolation setting?

Could you please post screenshots to illustrate the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's actually that logo you were helping me with in my other post aout trying to replicate effects.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Object Layers are resized using interpolation even if the embedded object is a vector graphic.  Photoshop also  match the logo being place in to the document print resolution to maintain the size of the logo.   If you create your logo document large in print size with a high resolution DPI.  Your place logo should look sharp. If your default Photoshop interpolation is set to Bicubic Automatic or Bicubic sharper it may get over sharpened.    If you create your logo document small in print size with a low DPI like 72 when you scale it up onto a print size document the Logo will become soft to to point being out of focus.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3498406#3498406

Smart object layer resized three ways and masked together

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/3000x2000.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a vector logo - that's a raster file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know not what his AI created  logo is by the time he get it into to Photoshop. I know the op posted a png but have no idea of what was in the document the png was saved from. Only a few file types are displayed by browsers layered Tiff, PSD and PSB files are not.   My post show how Smart Object layers with all vector embedded object works in Photoshop.

Smart Object layers are transform using interpolation like raster layer for its the pixels rendered for the layer that get interpolated by the transform by Photoshop .  However if you open the embedded object in Photoshop and resize the object using Image Size instead of transforming the Smart Object Layer the resize is done using vector graphics.  As my posted composite jpeg shows

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AI has always been a vector smart object.

However if you open the embedded object in Photoshop and resize the object using Image Size instead of transforming the Smart Object Layer the resize is done using vector graphics.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why I would want to resize the smart object using image size. Wouldn't that degrade the image if it's scaled up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have AI. If the smart object is and AI object I would think that if you double click on the layer's smart object icon that the embedded object would open in AI for updating. Like clicking on and embedded RAW file open in ACR where Photoshop objects like layer groups, layers, shape would be open in Photoshop.  You would then use the tools in the program that the embedded object open in to resize the embedded object.  I do not know what tools AI has for resizing vectors. I would think most of  AI tools would be vector tools.

Image size in Photoshop resizes shape and text layers using vectors where other pixel type layers are resized using interpolation,  Smart Object Layers pixels are interpolated if you resize using  Transform in Photoshop.  The layers embedded objects are not resize independently instead the composite pixels rendered for the objects is what is resized by Photoshop.

Also if your default Photoshop Preference Interpolation is set to Bicubuc Automatic or Bicubic Sharper.  Smart objects may be over sharpened to a point where the jaggies set in.  Adobe default setting is Bicubic Automatic is not a good setting IMO.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to edit smart objects in AI when you double click on them in PS they take you back into AI to edit. Once saved, you go back into PS with the newly edited Smart Object updated. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's why I was confused you suggsted editing the smart object by playing with image size.

What would you recommend as a good setting for Image Interpolation? Nearest Neighbor seems to make no difference.

Thanks JJ!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just set mine to Bicubic.Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it made no difference changing to these preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Smart Object layer, start a Free Transform (dont actually change the transform), and in the options bar turn on antialiasing, then commit the transform (again, without changing anything but the antialiasing checkbox).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris! It worked! No more pixelation. Should that now fix it permanently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but that will fix it everytime you turn off antialiasing when placing vector data and forget about doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, thanks for the info about the Anti-Alias checkbox when transforming smart objects. This seems like it would fix the same issue that Im having as the original poster, HOWEVER, my Anti-Alias checkbox is greyed out and cannot be clicked. Am I missing a step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having the issue of my Anti-Alias checkbox being greyed out too, but don't see the post on how to fix it. Is there an answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanx alot my friend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, you're absolutely amazing, thank you so much for this. I almost had a nervous breakdown last night because I couldn't figure out what was going on. Such a simple fix too. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much - fixed my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue and anti-aliasing is on. However, once the ai smart object is converted to a photoshop smart object so I can use the free transform distort, the anti-aliasing box is greyed out. Regardless of that fact, when distorting the smart object quite a lot (for instance, the top of a package box like my attachment), it pixelates no matter what. The front, no prob. The side, somewhat pixelated, the top, terrible. What am I doing wrong? FYI, when pasting the ai file, I'm reducing it to 30% so it's not a matter of it being blown up too large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By logo document do you mean the original .AI logo file or the file you're importing the smart object into?

The image I'm working with was originally 696 x 485 px @ 144 dpi (got it off the internet) and is not a large file. The AI file was made in CMYK color mode. Here is the image with the logo placed as a smart object with no scaling, so in theory it should be large enough for there not to be pixelation...yet as you can see there is around the edges. So imagine what it's like when it's scaled down.

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks!

grand-award-winning-store-(3).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either that's a low res bitmap, or you have a vector smart object (PDF, EPS, AI) and have antialiasing turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a vector smart object. Copy and pasted straight from Illustrator AI file. How do I turn anti-aliasing back on? Do you think that will resolve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Photoshop > Preferences > General > Image Interpolation setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines