• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart objects not updating across artboards - Photoshop

Engaged ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some smart objects which appear in several artboards within the same document. Editing them doesn't change all the instances where the smart object is used, only the ones within the artboard where the smart object that I edited is sitting.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That is the expected workflow, if you want the change to be reflected in other instances, then you should work with Linked Smart Objects: Work more efficiently with Smart Objects |

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the file?

You probably made a mistake like dragging an image into the file several times or using Ā»New Smart Object Via CopyĀ« to duplicate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other option would be if you created Layer Comps in the SO and applied them to the SO instances in the containing document via the Properties Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue happening with version 23.5. This is a bug with certain versions of Photoshop and should be remedied for the price we're paying for a subscription. As a user, having to keep track of linked files to update smart objects across multiple artboards  is a pain and feels like laziness on behalf of Adobe's dev team and QA team.  As a user, you should be able to have the smart object embeded in the artboards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been having this same problem. I don't understand the reason for it, but I may havefound a workaround. The updating issue seems to be the difference between DUPLICATING a smart object through "duplicate layer" to multiple artboards versus COPYING the smart object (cmd+C). It's not as convenient, but extra steps of duplicating should allow you to update the SO changes across artboards, while for some reason copying does not (the equivalent of New Smart Object Via Copy). It's a real pain, and I've had to re-compose so many artboards because I didn't realize the difference, but I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines