not transforming smart filter mask with layer

please help

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been that way for a long time, maybe even since the start of Smart Filters. 

One can work-around it (at least in certain situations) but I currently can’t find a Bug Report/Feature Request on the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answer.
I was aware of the existence of this problem in previous versions of photoshop. But I've never encountered it myself.
I thought Adobe fixed everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can turn this thread in a bug report.

Would you mind posting images showing the issue, and explaining how it hurts your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PECourtejoie, thank you much for this posibility
Here sample images that illustrate my problem
smart_filter_transform_01.jpgsmart_filter_transform_02.jpg

This is not may real images. I made them just for illustration of my problem.
i have a smart object with filter applied to it. Filter has a mask. In this mask i constrain zone, affected by filter to certain region. 
I rotate and, some times, scale with free transform my smart object, and smart filter mask is not affected by this transform. Here is may problem: i need filter zone to be aliged whith object. if not, my image loose its sense and i has to repair it.
In previous to 23.0.0 photoshop verions i has no such problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able the Transform a Smart Filter Mask itself.  What you can not do is Link the Smart Filter Mask to the Smart object.  While it look like you can link a layer mask on the Smart Object layer to the Layers Content content. Photoshop will allow you to set the mask to have the link icon when there is warping.  There are restrictions when it come to smart object later, If you transform the Layer's content Photoshop may pop up a messages stating  no no Smart Object can not have linked layer mask.   The Smart object can be edited the object itself can have layers will linked mask as long as its not an other smart object layer.   Photoshop does not support linking mask to smart object.    So if you transform a smart object you may need to re do the masking. You may be able to do it by un-link the mask and transforming the mask itself.  However the transforming your are doing to the smart object  warping may be difficult to replicate the warping of the mask.  Also a  smart object layer can only have a single filter mask all smart filter on the layer will be masked by the same filter mask. Will the current smart filters setting be appropriate for the transformed object. You may need to also readjust all the layers smart filters settings.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use intermediate laeyr to transform mask with source layer and replace smart filter mask with modified content. It is not very painful procedure, but for one who never has such a problem before produce some sufferingsmart_filter_transform_03.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend a different work-around: 

Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 15.19.09.pngScreenshot 2021-11-12 at 15.19.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines