• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smooth brush strokes get angular - changing document briefly resolves problem, then it returns

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a rather disruptive issue when drawing curves strokes freehand.

After a few minutes of drawing, curved strokes suddenly get angular. The faster I draw the strokes, the worse it gets. If I draw real slow, it looks ok.
I'm attaching pictures of the problem.

The problem is not with the brush - I have tried different brushes, and it also happens with the selection tool (as you can see in the images). So far I have only had this problem in Photoshop, which leads me to believe the fault may be with the software, but I can't know for sure.

The weird thing is, if I switch tabs to a different document, or open a different software and draw there, it fixes the problem. I can return to the drawing I was working on and get smooth strokes again. Then, a few minutes later, the issue returns. So while working, I now have to keep a separate document, or separate software, open, to draw a few lines there then return to my work for the problem to go away.

I use a Wacom Intuos Pro (L), and Photoshop is up to date. The issue is not on any specific area on the tablet, it happens everywhere. I don't have an extra tablet to test with, but I have tried a different pen, and it made no difference. I have tried reverting to older drivers for the tablet, and I've tried an older version of Photoshop. Neither helped. I run Windows 10 on a fairly new PC. Windows has had several updates through this problem, and doesn't seem to affect it.

Does anyone know what's causing this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

I think the problem is with windows ink not playing nice with Photoshop - atleast this is what caused it for me (I also have a Wacom Intuos Pro (M)).

I had added a psconfig file in the photoshop settings folder to force windows ink inside of Photoshop but allow me to keep windows ink turned off in wacom settings - as it would cause issues with other programs. Once the config was removed and windows ink was turned back on inside wacom settings, the problem disappeared... for brush work. Unfortuna

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does your Brush Panel look like? Is there anything selected there that might not be needed?

ADOBE-BRUSH.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush panel looks the same as yours in this picture. Normally I work with a brush with various settings, but switching to a completely plain brush with nothing checked except Shape Dynamics and Smoothing still has the issue.

Note that the lasso tool is also affected, so the problem must be with something else than the brush settings.

I really am at a loss for what's causing this. I don't think it's the tablet, as I can't replicate the issue in other software. But I've got a private tablet at home, I'll try bringing it to work to check, just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a tablet too (Wacom Intuos Pro), and it's true that sometimes the issue has to do with pen settings or something. I hope someone in here can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is with windows ink not playing nice with Photoshop - atleast this is what caused it for me (I also have a Wacom Intuos Pro (M)).

I had added a psconfig file in the photoshop settings folder to force windows ink inside of Photoshop but allow me to keep windows ink turned off in wacom settings - as it would cause issues with other programs. Once the config was removed and windows ink was turned back on inside wacom settings, the problem disappeared... for brush work. Unfortunately it still seems to occur with the lasso tool...

I've had suggestions to use the plugin Lazy Nezuma to mitigate this but I'm reticent to solve the problem with buying an addon. FWIW it seems to be specific to photoshop as this 'stepping' doesnt occur in apps like Clip Studio or Affinity Photo. Hopefully there's a solution out there somewhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a life saver!! I too had this psconfig file in the settings folder, due to windows ink. And removing it seems to have removed the line bug too. I haven't been drawing for that long yet after removing it, but it really seems to be fixed. If I'll have to switch windows ink on and off in the wacom settings for different software, it's still miles better than having to redraw lines over and over in Photoshop.

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way - I assume you already know this, but in case you don't: in the tablet settings, you can save different settings for different software. So you can tell it to keep windows ink on in Photoshop and off in all other software. It seems to work fine. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows Ink has seeemed to work better than WinTab for several major versions now.  Guillaume Stordeur, the author of Lazy Nezumi Pro has been recommending the Windows Ink API over WinTab for several years now.

image.png

Incidentally, as a Windows user I stronly urge you to try Lazy Nezumi.  It's range of features is stagering now, and all of your brush problems will go away. 

https://lazynezumi.com/home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines