• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Soft brush banding in Photoshop while painting

New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am using a pretty new computer and I noticed on my last painting when I paint on dark colors I get some banding. I've never hand this issue on my old computer before. This happens on 8bit and 16bit .I use a 11x14 inch 300dpi canvas for my painting.Screenshot 2022-05-24 162834.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums) to Photoshop.]

I see no colors and no banding in your screenshot.

In which color mode are you working?

What are your opacity and flow settings? 

Is Airbrush option on or off? 

Is Presure Sensitivity on or off?

Are you viewing at 100% magnification?

See my screenshot.  The sample on left is with airbrush on.  The sample on right is with airbrush off.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sorry hope these screen shots are better Screenshot 2022-05-26 190932.pngScreenshot 2022-05-26 191136.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your example is an 8-bit file, which will have banding. There are only 256 discrete steps per color channel, and that will be clearly visible in smooth gradients.

In a 16 bit file there will be no banding in the data. But what most people forget is that the display system is still 8 bit! Unless you have a 10 bit capable monitor, there will always be banding in the display pipeline. With 16 bit data, any banding you see is in your display system.

Banding is cumulative. It can happen in a bad monitor profile, calibration tables in the video card, or the panel itself. If several of these come on top of each other, the result can be highly irregular banding with pronounced color bands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how can I fix this? This did not happen before until recently 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you work with 16 bit data, there is no banding in the file.

You will always see some banding with a standard 8 bit screen. If it suddenly got worse, check your monitor profile and your calibration software. But most likely you just have an image that brings it very clearly to your attention.

The fix is to get a 10-bit capable monitor. In the meantime, you can add a tiny bit of noise to break it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still has that issue with the 16 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Converting an image from 8bit to 16bit naturally has no bearing on existing pixel layers’ content. 

Did you start over in 16bit or only convert the existing 8bit image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines