Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[SOLVED] Scrubby Zoom & Alt Brush Resize - Lag - Photoshop 2020

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've updated yesterday to Photoshop 21.1.1. Previously, I was using Photoshop 21.0.2.

In the latest version of Photoshop, there is a split second lag when using Scrubby Zoom, or when using the Alt key to resize brushes. Dragging left or right, doesn't have an effect for a fraction of a second. Then it jumps to resize. This happenes every time. It feels almost like it's waiting to see what I want to do.

I know a split second doesn't sound like a lot, but it's exceptionally annoying when it wasn't there before. It makes my workflow stutter.

I uninstalled Photoshop 21.1.1. and installed a slightly older version, 21.1. It had the same issue. I went back and reinstalled Photoshop 21.0.2 and the Scrubby-Zoom/Alt-Resize lag dissappeared completely.

adobe.JPG

Also, this is not a tablet issue. I have tested this at my work (Games Studio in the UK), where I use a Wacom Cintiq PRO 32, and Photoshop 21.1.1 has the same problem. 

I am using a Huion KAMVAS GT-221 PRO HD at home, and once again, Photoshop 21.1.1 has the laggy scrubby zoom.

All Pen Display drivers are up to date at work and home.

My home PC specs are:

Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 3.6 GHz
64GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB
Windows 10

Photoshop has around 41GB RAM assigned, so I don't think it's a performance issue.

Is there something I can do to fix this, beside never updating Photoshop? 😄

Thanks a lot. Any help would be much appriciated.

17th of June, 2020 UPDATE:

I have enabled Windows INK. It does work with Windows INK.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Are you using a Wacom Tablet Pen? If you are are you using WinTab or INK  support pen support with Photoshop.  Adobe broke Photoshop's WinTab support in 21.1.0 and did not fix it in 21.1.1.  The bottom pen button seems to be flaky when using WinTab interface.  21.1.1 is the only version I user Window INK support with. I  change Wacom to use WinTab for all other versions for some do not have INK support and other have issues with INK support.  21.1.1 seems to work well  using INK support.  I do n

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be worth a try: Uncheck "Enable Generator" under Preferences > Plugins. This feature has been slowing down Photoshop for some users.

Also might help: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/photoshop-slow-lags.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your reply. 🙂 Sadly, I've already disabled that. I generally always have that disabled. 😞 I also tried the photoshop-slow-lags advice on adobe and none of those options improved it. T_T

Thanks again, for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just remembered, is Legacy Compositing checked on? That may help. If not then 21.0.2 will have to do as long as the features are there.

That's about it, unless you want to give Adobe's Chat Service a try.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. I reinstalled 21.1.1, and checked that Legacy Compositing is off. Also checked it so it should be on. No difference. Still lags for a second at Scrubby Zoom and Alt resize of the brush. It's fine. I'll stick with 21.0.2 for a while. Thank you so much for your help. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. The rough part is figuring out why Ps won't work on your rig, and for the sake of moving on, downgrading is the best answer at the moment.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Wacom Tablet Pen? If you are are you using WinTab or INK  support pen support with Photoshop.  Adobe broke Photoshop's WinTab support in 21.1.0 and did not fix it in 21.1.1.  The bottom pen button seems to be flaky when using WinTab interface.  21.1.1 is the only version I user Window INK support with. I  change Wacom to use WinTab for all other versions for some do not have INK support and other have issues with INK support.  21.1.1 seems to work well  using INK support.  I do not know what Window 7 users can do the is not INK in Windows 7.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your the info. Good to know that Photoshop broke the WinTab support. I am using WinTab for sure. Windows INK is the devils work, and I ain't touching it. It's hideous and I hate it with a passion. lol. I have the PSUserconfig file that forces Photoshop to use WinTab.

Also, I am using both, a Wacom Pen Display, and a Huion Pen Display (two seperate PC's. Not the same PC). And on both PC's the Windows INK function is disabled. Good to know it's that what's causing it. I hope Adobe will fix the WinTab support.

Thanks again. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My English is not very good. So, if I understood you well...there is no solution for that problem? It is really anoying, indeed. I didn't have that problem in my older laptop (Windows 7 and Photoshop 15), and now with Photoshop 2020 and a new powerful PC it's driving me crazy... 

The only solution is to wait for an Adobe actualization 😞

Thank you in advance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, why do tou dismiss the fact that it could be a tablet issue? because it happens on two different brands?

Did you try with a mouse?

Could you list why you hate WinInk? the Ps engineers might be interested to know all the issues that you (and many other users) are facing, hence why you want to use wintab...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because this tablet works fine in Photoshop 2015 in my laptop. So I guess the problem is either from Windows 10 or Adobe 2020...right?

Yes, no problem with the mouse.

I don't hate WinInk. I don't even know what is it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am the OP, and I would like to answer this question.

The reason why I hate WinInk so much is because it's laggy and overcrowded with useless and annoying effects like the circle glow on Wacom tablets when you right click, or lagging when you double click, or having a silly floating popup with ALT, CTRL etc, appearing under your cursor when you press these keys.

I have to spend ages disabling all of this, not to mention go to Windows Registry to get rid of the popup floating text. Which is fine enough, but sometimes, after a Windows update, it comes back, so I need to go through disabling all this nonesense again. That is why I personally hate Windows INK. If this garbage would not be present and I wouldn't need to keep a full document on how to disable this every time they reappear, I would love Windows INK. It has a much better brush engine than WinTAB.

Regarding your question why we think it's Adobe's fault; it's because everything works perfectly in Photoshop 21.0.2, using WinTab. So if it's working perfectly in Photoshop 21.0.2, but it doesn't in subsequent iterations of the software, the logical conclusion is, the issue is with the software. Our hardware did not change. It's still the same, so it can't be the Pen Display(s). 

Please don't take this as criticism. I love Adobe softwares and always will. I just hope, and pray and beg, that you look into this, and see if you could potentially find a solution for this scrubby zoom and alt+resize lag. It's slowing my workflow and forcing me to use an older version of the software. But you probably won't. Windows INK is the future. So then the only hope left is that Microsoft will allow us to disable all this garbage extras with one click.

Thank you so much for your time.

Best regards,

Mathia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, can you describe please how to disable the CTRL, ALT popups through registy? Would be much appreciated. I haven't been able to find a solution to this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines