• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 150 - What did the Romans do for us?

Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This being the 150th SFTW challenge I thought we might do something a bit different. Rather than posting a starter image, I thought we should start with the roman numerals for 150. So that is :

CL

What will your creative minds and skills make with those letters?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had such a big smile when reading the subject for this thread Dave.  I wonder if there will be anyone who does not get the reference? I rather doubt it.  I wonder how many people know we have George Harrison to thank for that movie?  Hey, that might drive an idea or two for images for this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd seen it several times but didn't know about the George Harrison connection Trevor.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm wrote:

"What did the Romans do for us?"

Apart from the sanitation, the aqueduct, and the roads, what have the Romans ever done for us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xad5Rl0N2E

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd seen it several times but didn't know about the George Harrison connection Trevor.

Dave

By @davescm

It turns out I didn't know the full story Dave.  I knew George funded Life of Brian after EMI pulled out because of its continuous script.  So George and his business manager set up Handmade Films which also went on to produce The Long Good Friday, Time Bandits, Mona Lisa, and Withnail and I.

Guardian newspaper article

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that this one is going to be about shapes and what we see in those shapes.  I had it in mind when doing this that as I'd flipped the characters I should also flip the Lenin portrait, but when I did this it no longer looked like him.  He must have had an asymmetrical face.  I am totally not going to say that means he was an ugly bugger, because I could frankly do without the polonium pellet being stabbed in my leg.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever thinking - thanks for getting us started this weekend Trevor.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave explains it all.

Dave CL1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confucius Maximus 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confucius Maximus 🙂

Dave

By @davescm

We could end up with as much Life of Brian content as CL imagery this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW-CL-JLemosEntry.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, the wonderful fish illustrations I used come from the British Library's public domain collections on Flickr Commons. https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary/11073673653.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are brilliant illustrations Jain, and you've used them well 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave! I'm working on coloring this little one now... who may make an appearance in a future SFTW!

Sketch-003A.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That reminds me of Robert Hooke's scientific illustrations of insects and shells.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW150 CL JE01.jpg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - Excellent !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  Very funny Jane.  😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brought a smile to my face too 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll put it on ice........

CLGlassASFTW150.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone notice that the preview image here is not colour managed and shows oversaturated on a wide gamut monitor. Click on the arrow at the top right of the image and the full size image that opens is properly colour managed.

I can get around this by using colour mode 1 in Firefox which treats untagged images as sRGB , but shouldn't have to. Images and previews should both be tagged correctly

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really beautiful, Dave, and I hope your glass is now empty?

Thanks for 10010110 fun challenges!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done Dave. Masterful work. Looks almost too good to drink 🙂

Is the space reflection at the bottom of the glass from a previous SFTW image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that reflection is from an HDR image I used to light the render.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this Dave.  I love that the characters appear to be translucent, but if you look careful at specific areas of the characters, its not so clear why.  It's an overall effect and something to do with how our minds and eyes work I'm guessing.  I especially like where the characters are visible on the surface of the liquid and that they have more contrast.  It makes it look more real.  The distorted reflections on the surface of the liquid are particularly good, and I can imagine the lensing effect of the curved side of the glass doing exactly that.  So the question is, is it ray traced with Blender, or a freehand illustration?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines