• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 160 - Stay sharp!

Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all who took part in our last 'elevator' challenge, there were some great ideas and images.

This week we start with a safety pin. What can you make with this simple object?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser). On opening, you should also find a path in the paths panel should you wish to use it to create a mask.

SFTW160_Safety_Pin.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 126 Replies 126
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a million years ago, when a person had to run along in front of the new fangled motor vehicles waving a red flag, and Thomas Edison had not yet stollen the electric light bulb from Lewis Latimer, us motoring enthusiasts learned our stuff from magazines like Motorcycle Mechanics.  A recurring theme in that magazine (we'd have called it a meme but they were yet to be invented) was that when you broke down, you need only look in the gutter, or on the grass verge, and you'd be rewarded with the very bits you needed to affect a repair.   This is an honest Injun true story.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Trevor. Nowadays though, do we not have to add a health and safety warning even bigger than the image 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! I used to have a blow dryer (for hair) whose tag said "DO NOT USE IN BATHTUB."  I mean you have to wonder what happened to necessitate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It reminds me of a comment I read a few months ago about how car handbooks had changed over the years. They used to tell you how to make adjustments to the engine, now they warn you not to drink the battery acid. I had a look at mine and sure enough it did.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mountain safety. 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever!  I like the way you have included the handgrip on the section the pins in each hand. 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...plus the chipping of the ice is a nice touch.
809BC8C1-0A4C-419D-A259-BE4EC940AE90.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn the safety pin into a brush and use a bit of brush symmetry..........

SFTW160-Pin-Bird.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful Dave.  Can you link to your Tech Wednesday video on using symmetry with work paths if there are no NDAs involved?  That will blow a few minds I am thinking.  We got to five pages with the Elevator SFTW, so I'm hoping there are some ideas being worked on.  I flat out cheat if I am running dry, and Google something like Cool things to do with safety pins.     

It's the ideas that are the hardest part.  Selections are so easy now.  Even in the four and a bit years since you put the first SFTW thread up January 2018 (was it a coincidence that happened in the first week of that year?).  It's not just the new tools, although Select Subject is like a magic trick, and the Object Selection tool is pretty slick, I am also convinced that Select & Mask has improved dramatically.  I feel like I have a black belt in Sensei — I could wander around Central Park in the dead of night with my laptop, just waiting for a difficult selection to try and mug me — Charlse Bronson, with his sock full of quarters, would have nothing on me.  But the truth is, _anyone_ can do it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Trevor. I'll have to look and see if I can find that recording.

Hopefully, there is plenty of scope with the pin for ideas to come forward.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice owl, Dave, but those talons look dangerous!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very beautiful effect Dave, I enjoyed watching your brush symmetry session

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for a congratulations for your beautiful work and creativity Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy Easter!

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's perfect for this weekend Nancy - nice one 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's something very pleasing and satisfying about this image.  The photography is excellent, but the design is perfect.  I feel like I could sit here and look at it for ages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image isn't entirely mine but making Ukrainian Easter eggs (pysanky) with hot wax and a pin (kistka) is on my bucket list of things to do. Hence the blue egg pattern.  The jelly beans were an afterthought.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. @Nancy OShea, this is delightful to my eye in every way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice render, Dave, and thank you for being kind to us by providing the clipping path! 😊

SFTW160_Safety_Pin JE02.jpg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"and thank you for being kind to us by providing the clipping path!"

If only I had of known that before making a selection with the Pen Tool 🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ged_Traynor 

@davescm wrote:

"On opening, you should also find a path in the paths panel should you wish to use it to create a mask."

Dave

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged, Jane, I also started with the Pen Tool, but then I happened to spot that well hidden wording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e 

It's like forgetting to read the small print 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean you didn't read paragraph 6, subsection d, clause 42 of the rules,  which signs your entire life savings away....... ?

Those rules are clearly shown in Jain's image this week. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines