• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 169 - Keep it thimble!

Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's that time again, the weekend is about to start and it's time for another challenge. The idea for this week's starter image came from @jane-e who told me how she came across a thimble which she has had since her childhood. Of course, the thimble is worn when creating things by sewing, but what can you make from from the thimble itself?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW169Thimble.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Keep it thimble”

Clever pun, Dave! Thank you for bringing my thimble to life — it's beautiful!

SFTW169Thimble JE02.jpg

Two of my ideas have already been taken, so I managed to come up with a third. The safety pin is from SFTW160.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-160-st...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right on the button Jane 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enjoy! 

Music: “Strange Magician” by Gertraut Hecher

(Hmm… I see it's a bit fast, but you can play it at half speed, lol, as the magician gets drowsy…)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - I was waiting for the thimble and there it was at the end. Nice job Jain.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave! I made 60 layers for this one, putting 23.5 through the paces. There were a few glitches, mostly with zooming and resizing shapes. Also, if a selected font is not activated or available, you can apply it, but you can't save the file or save a copy. The error message pops up, but trying to change the font won't always stick. Otherwise, it's working great for these types of video animations. Layers to files worked wonderfully, but it did take some time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An excellent video Jain.  Video is so much smoother than frame animations, and we can upload to YouTube and embed here, thereby get past the 10Mb file size limit.  Does the Timeline become unwieldy with that many elements?  I've never had a serious go at doing video with Photoshop because I've always used PremPro, but now I look at it, you have more control with video than with frame animations.  

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor! The Timeline does get a bit cumbersome to view with that many layers, but groups help. There is more control than animation, for sure. I'm still finding new tricks, but there are limitations. I like showing that Photoshop can make videos with music as a way to break into that art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lovely colors!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you feeling lucky?

Find-the-Pea.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to love watching these guys and their "customers" at Washington Square in NYC when I was a college student. I'm glad I never put money down because I could never catch them, but it was fun trying. Great idea, Trevor!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So clever, Trevor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would never have thought of doing that with the thimble Trevor. Very good !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow this is cool, what tool(s) did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jain and I both used the Photoshop Motion workspace, but Jain used a video timeline, and I used a frame animation.

Video

Frame animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done Trevor.

I picked the middle thimble. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source image immediately reminded me of a condenser mic! 

My project-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome David.

That is a great use of the thimble 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My grandson as Oor Wullie, a cartoon to be found in the Sunday Post.

Charlie-thimble.jpg

Oor-Wullie-bucket.jpg

Famously sits on his bucket.

Oor Wullie heading.png

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great picture Euan. Thimble works well as a stool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent Euan.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great pirate accessory. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least he won't get pins and needles in his leg!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None shall pass...

SFTW169crusader-knight-templar-figurine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That made me laugh.  The thimble fits the image perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines