Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 20 - The fountain

Community Expert ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Today was a beautiful bright morning for a walk around our local village pond. But whilst the pond and its surroundings are very pleasant, the fountain is a bit lacking. What would you put in it's place? Something modern, something old, something ornate, something simple, or something else entirely ?
At first glance this looks a straightforward challenge but the overhanging branches, running water and reflections make this just a little more challenging than it looks.

As usual, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below without the forum scaling artefacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW20PondA.jpg

Enjoy.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rare image of baby Burt

BabyBurt.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, that'll keep folk away from the edge!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another I lost the plot SFTW

SFTW20.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know our village pond was that deep Ged !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I thought you lived in whales

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realized I made a school boy error with the reflection the trees shouldn't be there, spent to much time masking the leafs and twigs back in forgot about the important details.

Silly me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was admiring the beautiful work you did on the leaves and twigs so much (something I carefully stayed clear of), I didn't even notice the reflected trees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah that's better Rista - after crocs and whales the local children were getting frightened

Ged - I never said it was easy. That's the trouble with reflections - it is easy to miss them and also to remember that the reflection looks at the underneath so flipping doesn't always work convincingly.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to give myself a proper reflection challenge with a shiny metal fountain

SFTW20ChromeFountain.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave I was sure this week would have a royal wedding angle, although I guess that is still doable.   My take from today is Ever Ready has a new star for its Energizer adverts.  I believe that Bishop Michael Curry is still there at the chapel delivering his sermon hours after everyone else has gone home.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all looks peaceful but who knows what night time brings......

SFTW20Nighttime.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent 'night-from-day' Dave.  I had to scroll back and look at the original to compare.  I particularly love the lit windows, and the warm tones you have given the buildings, but I actually like it all.  A top job matey.

BTW the blue thing will be one of those Terminators.  They might be nuclear powered, but even that is no match for the _low_ temperatures you get oop there, and poor Termi is freezing his little titanium B©LL©@#$ off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor.  The water temperature explains why he is blue .

"Night from day" was a combination of Curves + Hue & Sat layers with masks. The head is a Fuse model, textured blue and then an opacity map painted with photoshop brush symmetry.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the night scene Dave very impressive and you got the reflection on both your images spot on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Ged. "Night from day" is a lot easier than "day from night"!
The silver fountain is a 3D circular extrusion with a similar image to the main one used as an image based light, although I had to clone out the fountain from it otherwise it would have shown in the model surface "reflection". The model is also reflected in the ground plane, which took care of getting the angles right - the reflection shows the underside of the top section.  Finally I used the liquify filter on the rendered fountain reflections to bend and break them in line with the original water surface.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week020.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_5203.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you having trouble posting Jane?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Dave—Jive said I don't have permission to post in this forum. I tried several times!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is more than just a one off, it might be worth dropping a line to MadisonLeupp

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from the screenshot it looks like the forum has auto signed you out... a "fix" Adobe added to the forum that kicks in if you stay still for X time

I would try sign out {at the browser not the cc app} then sign back in then re-test a new post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s, yes burt is a real croc, this is his home and you can in deed hop in if that sounds like a good idea

Crocosaurus Cove Darwin - Home | Facebook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me if I get distracted, and take too long completing an answer.  To be safe, I select and copy my content, and hard reload the thread (Ctrl F5) and it usually works OK after that.  The auto-save also usually still works, but might not have the most recent addition to the post, so easier to paste it all back from the clipboard.

We arrived home to a sunny but cold NZ a few hours ago, and it is so nice having the big screens after using that little Cintiq Companion for the last three weeks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welcome home mate... so have you got a kitchen now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines