• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 37 - Who is in the attic?

Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This weekend's Photoshop challenge is brought to you not by me but by ACP KJerryK - thanks Jerry!  He has set the scene in a dark attic and a rather spooky ventriliquists dummy.
Something is happening in the attic and I'm sure we can all read a story there. So the challenge for this weekend is to add to the image in order to bring out the story you see and tell us more.

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW37-Who-In-the-Attic.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, is that Punch's hat and stick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Jane, or the versions fitting him as a bairn; and a certain wee top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it! I was trying to figure out the part in the cradle. There's usually if not always a baby in the Punch and Judy shows. And a policeman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried hard to make the image name short enough for Mac viewers and still give a hint of how it all started, in the attic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob - nice variation on the Punch and Judy theme. I like the way it hints at it with the props rather than just adding characters.

Ussnorway - I wasn't sure whether it was a red spotlight for Rocky Horror or the werewolf is beaming down.

Interesting thread on the background and we have no problem with images made in other applications. Although Photoshop is obviouslycthe most used tool here, In the past we have had images made in Illustrator, Fuse, After Effects, Blender....... If someone wants to print out the original, draw on the paper, scan it and send it in it is still welcome here.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flobber-dob.  Weeeeeed.  I think the little house knows something about it.     Little weed is all illustrated, but the puppets are mostly composite.

[EDIT]  I'm thinking that does not read clearly.  I put the little flowerpots together for the legs, and the boots, gloves, bow ties and Dave's puppet head where put together as a composite.  I made the big flower pot, arms and hat with Photoshop, and the candle flame with EC7.  Just over 100 layers.

I pasted this in a few moments ago, and suddenly realised that the doll was ghosting through from behind Bill (or is it Ben?) and couldn't work out why.  Then I twigged that I'd tried to darken the background nearer to the original by reducing opacity on my copy with the fixed chair and background, and the fix had become translucent. So I am stuck with my bright attic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking to myself that it is a shame we go to the trouble of creating much more detail than will be seen in the final downsized upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cute, Trevor, as opposed to scary-attic! Unless the flames on top of the flower pot hats are about to cause trouble. I’m still trying to figure out what they are for? The light source that brightens the room, maybe? Something...

Great detail in the flower, and yes, we needed to see that, too! Is it Photoshop or Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Trevor.

We tried larger pixel size images in the first SFTWs, which would have shown more detail, but the thread started to slow down on loading.

When building 3D scenes I have to remind myself not to spend too much time on detail which will hardly be visible at the final render.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

toy story does rocky horror

arrived.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should give credit but the story gets complex

this thread has the details + a link to the original warewolf file Can't load 3D model into Fuse CC

a user asked for help files to load a model from turbosquid into steam Fuse... short answer is you can't do that but one of our better users named Holly stepped in to explain why and what needs doing to make something like it work

that gave me an idea because Photoshop can do things in 3d that people don't always know about and Adobe Fuse, Photoshop, Wrap3.3 together got the job done... in fact the image above is made with Dimension not Photoshop [hope that doesn't break the rules]

the morral is sometimes creatives have to first be willing to take a step to the left and a jump to the right in order to see the warped path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caught in the path of Florence

Week037_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicely done, with the color and the floating hat. A sad time in the Carolinas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry - I love the guy smoking on the left. Great idea - nicely done.

Rista - lovely job - the lighting and reflections are excellent!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!!!!!! so many dolls on my screen!

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 15.17.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines