Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 43 - Halloween

Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is it just me getting old , or does Friday come around faster these days?

As we approach the end of October, we are coming up to Halloween. It is an ancient festival enjoyed by many around the world and a great excuse for children to dress up and scare each other, and for adults to join in. So this weeks challenge is to make a scary, spooky image using the scene below which is a 3D render.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy - come and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW43Halloween.jpg

Have, spooky, fun !

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jerry I would never have thought of putting a lift in there.

Rista - Good demon - although I had to look twice as I thought he was wearing fluffy slippers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He may very well be wearing fluffy slippers.  Who knows whether devils get sore feet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny you should bring that up. I always thought fluffy slippers was the devil's invention and now I know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plan ones are fine its the fluffy slippers which look like kitty cats that have the devil in them and make you feel 'Naughty'... he is in the details!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did have fluffy slippers part way in, but I couldn't help but set fire to them, so they are not very apparent now.   I don't like the look of that Zombie.  He tried to show his face with my last upload, but it got a bit lost.  He fades in and out if you click to see the full size (referring to post # 11).

[EDIT]  Extra points if you can identify the face in the moon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista has obviously started a new theme - demons in fluffy slippers !

I recognise the evil doll from a previous SFTW Trevor - but I'm not getting the bomus points for the moon face.

Great stuff this week - keep them coming - Halloween is getting closer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Wicked Witch and the Scarecrow have come to celebrate SFTW's first  HalloweenSFTW43HalloweenB.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I finally got the chance to dig through my collection of old vinyl (where I knew I had seen it). It sure looks like the album cover for King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OldBob1957  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

I finally got the chance to dig through my collection of old vinyl (where I knew I had seen it). It sure looks like the album cover for King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King.

--OB

Yay!  That's the one.   I profess to being a nerdy King Crimson completist, and to me, Robert Fripp is to guitar music what Bert Monroy is to Photoshop.  (I actually only have one of the Box Sets).  I saw KC at The Albert Hall in 1995.  One of my all time favourite gigs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. As long as I had it out, I had to give it a spin last night. I am sad to say that I had forgotten how good it is. It is now back in my listening rotation, and I am going back through the collection to see what else I have forgotten over the years (he admitted with embarrassment).

Listen.jpg

-- OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, me too. Now, I've always tried to move on in musical tastes, and for half my life KC was strictly water under the bridge. But then a couple of years ago I rediscovered them, especially the '73-'74 edition, and thought, hey, that's still power. My favorite is the "Starless and Bible Black" album, in particular the title track (the fuzz guitar version; not the vocal version). Pretty uncompromising stuff, but it has stood the test of time.

Fun fact: Robert Fripp was pretty active, although low profile, in the post-post-punk electronica underground of the late 90's, working with bands like Future Sound of London and The Orb. And then of course Bowie, David Sylvian and Brian Eno. Absolutely fantastic guitarist, one of the greats.

But yes, "21st Century Schizoid Man" was and is a milestone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one (one of them) that really hit me last night was "Epitaph". Even more relevant today than when it was written.

Okay, I will quit posting off topic now.

Sorry.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, I like distorted guitars and get-out-of-my-way rhythms. Back then, I went from King Crimson to 70's Miles Davis (yes, that's the underrated funk period) - to Sex Pistols and early Talking Heads. They all felt like they were saying the same thing in different ways.

So. Back to our regular programme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only learned about KC earlier this month and heard ā€œ21st Century Schizoid Manā€ for the first time just a few weeks ago. According to Wikipedia:

ā€œBefore a live performance of the song on 14 December 1969, heard on the live album Epitaph, Robert Fripp remarked that the song was dedicated to ā€˜an American political personality whom we all know and love dearly. His name is Spiro Agnew.ā€™ ā€

Here is a photo of the watch I wore back then. The thing I loved best about it is that it never kept the correct time.

D599A75E-8350-4544-80B6-8B2072F71B4B.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An exquisite oak background watch match, Jane.

Maybe less obvious than the other watch features for many/most, I see the minute hand finger sign as another sign of the time (as in the year made in Switzerland) and maybe place (as in US), namely one where the English/British/Commonwealth (in this case reversed) reversed V sign (perceived as such because of the hour hand finger sign) was more widespread relative to the Greek/Roman middle one one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to stop and think about those two hands. Yes, the V-sign that Tricky Dick did right up to his final exit - and then the other one, that we know from the heavy metal crowd today, signifying the horns of the devil. Very subtle and elegant double meaning there, took a while before it sunk in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O. M. G., it's an original!

I haven't pulled that watch out in decades, and I just read up on it. Dr. Hale E. Dougherty (California) designed it as a joke, and I wore it as a joke, but there were lots of knock-offs. The originals have stars except for 3, 6, 9, and 12 and say D.T.C. for Dirty Time Company. EBay has one for sale for $244.80. The fakes are only $5.

https://www.justcollecting.com/miscellania/spiro-agnew-watch

Sometimes it was fast, other times slow, and occasionally correct, and this amused me to no end.

Here is an article about the suit:

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/08/28/archives/suit-filed-here-on-agnew-watch-californian-says-copyrigh...

And to Jacob Bugge, I tend to toss things onto my floor when I take a photo. Don't ask me why because I have no idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Dag - a bit harsh on Kodachrome

His real name was Luigi "Knock-Out" da Chrome, a notorious mafia hitman of Italian/Brazilian descent, who operated a small photoshop in New York's Little Italy district as a white-washing front for his real business. The few survivors describe his preference for dressing up as the Devil - or in later years as a certain well-known businessman turned politician. Rumors that this was in fact his real appearance have never been confirmed.

Anyway, this is where we all sent those 35mm cartridges, stored in the refrigerator for so long that we'd completely forgotten what was on them. "Knock-Out" knew this, of course, so he'd just send out random images he got cheaply in the back alleys around 42nd street.

So yeah - good riddance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week043_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jerry A Halloween bowling alley - I like it!

Jacob - eye's in every object. That should see us through the week.

Trevor - I should have known that since we had a conversation about that record. Fail on my part

Thanks to all who have taken part so far - there's still time for more !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I did wonder whether the eighteenth (and largest (it was made last)) set was too indistinct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These two have haunted me from the very beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tonight the Great Pumpkin will come, if we only believe...

SFTW43Halloween Jane 2 1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Halloween is over, and the cleaning crew has arrived to clear the palette for the next awesome artistic event

SFTW43HalloweenCleaner.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines