Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend — Part 83 — Streets of Warsaw

Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This is an early morning street scene taken in Warsaw, Poland. In “Song of the Open Road,” from Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman writes:

“You road I travel and look around! I believe you are not all that is here!

I believe that something unseen is also here.”

The challenge for this week is to start with this photo and show us what is unseen that is also here.

You can make it as simple or as complex as you like and you can choose to composite it from photographs, illustrate it, model it in 3D, or animate it. It’s entirely up to you.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go — whether you are a complete beginner or an expert or somewhere in between.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humor and fun. Don’t be shy — join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200 px on the long side.

To download the starter image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW83StreetsOfWarsaw.JPG

Have fun!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane I mark this thread as a discussion, makes it easier to find

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ged!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW83StreetsOfWarsaw1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week083.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged — Right. I’ll be looking for a hotel on the next street, as that is not an SOS!

Rista — Very appropriate for the 75th commemoration of August 1, 1944 when the Polish resistance fighters rose up against the German occupying forces in Warsaw.

Jacob — This might be scarier than Ged’s aliens, if you’ve been reading about Ellicott City, Maryland, and its two back-to-back thousand year floods turning Main Street into a raging river and ravaging the town!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Jacob — This might be scarier than ...

It was to me, triggered by your task defining poem, and literally (a)rising from my remembering New Tricks, Season 11, Episode 5 (London Underground).

Plot spoiler: The river Fleet known from Roman times was driven underground centuries ago, but still believed by some to demand sacrifices. At the end a young women flees the police to look down at Fleet Street from a high building which transforms into the Fleet Bridge of old as the pavement vanishes and she sees the river, and throws herself into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the sad part is i know that episode... I must be an old giser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not shine again:

Its sad course is done;

I have seen the last ray wane

Of the cold, bright sun  

-

Emily Brontë

Something For the Weekend-bh.jpg

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

loves the lights... nice touch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I love the night for day effect.  Very nicely done!

Jane, a great starter image.

Ged. Aliens?  I mean what else would you expect on the streets of Warsaw (other than Dave Wałęsa and his Solidarity marchers)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on a clear sky at night you can sometimes catch the Hubble as it cuts past the southern cross

night-View-1.jpg

p.s, special thanks to NASA... love your work guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harrodski ?

Lift3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poland folk dances - The Polish national dances are the Krakowiak, Kujawiak, Mazurek, Oberek, and Polonaise. These dances are classified as National because almost every region in Poland has displayed a variety of these dances.SFTW83StreetsOfWarsaw 1.jpg

The Polonaise

Joy in the streets! JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW83StreetsOfWarsawv1.jpg

They marched all the way from Canada to join the festivities...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob — a night scene with lovely lighting and a sad poem from Brontë. Whitman gives us hope again with these words:

“The great stars and the little ones shall shine out again, they endure,

The vast immortal suns and the long-enduring pensive moons shall again shine"

Trevor — yes, what else could we expect other than Solidarity Marchers unless it were a Harrod’s shopper zipping up the sidewalk and into her lift with her designer purchases?

Graham — a night scene with a starry, starry, night and the Hubble (I know someone who had a project on it!) What are the other orbs that are too big to be stars and too many to be planets?

Joan — We spent an evening watching some of these dances. I couldn’t join in due to an injury I had received a few hours earlier and had to be content with drinking Żubrówka instead. I didn’t know the dances had names!

Rafael — Those Canadian marchers are a long way from home!

Jacob and Graham — I found that episode online and will try to watch it in the next week. Does she drown or hit pavement when she jumps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (2865).png

most of the other orbs are stars with Alpha Century and the Coalsack tossed in too... if I clean up the background noise you can see them better but then it doesn't look like the night sky anymore because humans see all that noise when they look up

tell miss that photos of stars look like orbs because they move [well its more correct to say we move] and you need a star tracker to take a photo of stars if you don't want them to go orb-y because it takes a full minute for my sx60 to get the light needed... better cameras with bigger night seniors will take faster photos but the results will show stars that a human eye can't see so it wont look like it does to your eyes if she does that

p.s, Adobe stock has some very nice models NASA sort of loaned us for use in Dimension and they are free

Screenshot (2866).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Does she drown or hit pavement when she jumps?

I am deep enough in contrition as it is, with my having revealed far too much already.

But It is good to know that Sasha very reluctantly has to work with Ned (Hancock, the senior officer she has just divorced after her finding him out as a cheat (as a true detective, (mis)using her warrant card to get access to a hotel room)).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

isn't that the body in the garden allotment one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends on which part you are referring to, Graham: in Season 10, Episode 9 (Roots), there was a body (and then a knife) in the allotment, and independently of that Sasha threw her wedding ring away in the hotel corridor after the dreaded catch (Robert (Strickland) returned early from a conference and said that everyone did, which made her realize that someone lingered).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you spot the elephant in the room?

SFTW 83 -street_v2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no i don't see one in a room

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW83StreetsOfWarsaw2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines