• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 98 - Old flame!

Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all that took part in last weekend's mobile phone challenge. There were some great ideas.

This week I thought we should get away from our phones and move outdoors. So, I've created a campfire scene using Blender 3D for modelling, physics simulation (for the fire and smoke)  and rendering, with texturing stage using Adobe Substance. It should be a good challenge for matching the lighting which is predominantly from the fire itself.

There is the scene, what will you do with it?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 3000 x 2000 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW98Campfire.jpg

Have fun, don't get burnt!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for adding a camera angle this week Dave 🙂

98.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting us started Graham.

Not sure what you are after in terms of camera angles but, if it helps :

The camera is 6.5m back from the centre of the flames at a height of 0.7m. It is angle upward by 23 degrees and has a 50mm lens. Those top flames are reaching 1.2 metres

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dimension likes a clear horizontal line to match the camera angle up too

it just saves me some time is all

😉

Screenshot (467).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, cheers Graham I get it now.

In Blender I use fspy for camera matching. You align to planes and it calculates perspective and focal length. If you identify a known size, you can also match scaling. A very useful tool.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Hoax? I think not... 😞 

GlobalWarming2.jpg

[Edit] Used a different technique for the rim lighting (this is the technique used in Hollywood apparently), updated the textures around the Earth, removed the noise.

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job Glenn. I like the way you have blended the new flames with those in the original.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, appreciate that. Actually, those are all your flames. I just had a little fun with the Liquify filter is all 😉 . Nice work as always on the original graphic. Man that's amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Glenn - I enjoyed making it

davescm_0-1592657728748.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for showing it in Blender, Dave!

As someone who has taught hundreds of folks how to build fires, I complement you on your nicely built tepee fire. Here in the U.S., though, our campfires are small by definition, and we would call that a bonfire.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Jane

I found that the more realistically I modelled the piled up logs, twigs and branches, the more realistic the results I got from the physics fire simulation.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW98CampfireAviles2.jpg

The "campfire song" they were singing turned out to be a demon-summoning chant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my girls will be very happy with that result 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it. When we were kids there was nothing like a good scary campfire story 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week098.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Rista. I didn't think anyone would put the fire out! Great job turning night into day.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista, this looks to me like a "photo" taken several years from now when the forest has regenerated after it burned down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RightClick to get closer to the heat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the fire may have gotten a bit out of control there Jacob. Nice job with the sky replacement.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out on control indeed, Dave (triggering 20190410-78m).

And thank you for your kind words. It took quite a while, and fearing to end up overdoing it, I saved versions to fall back on; and settled on the seventh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Dave. When I was a working bush pilot in Northern Canada, I'd work fires from time to time and that's scarily realistic! Kind of makes my skin crawl a bit. An excellent job!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind words, Glenn. That kind of work must really have been scaring (20190410-78m is the greatest fire ever seen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most welcome. It had it's moments. One fire on an island I dropped a crew at, I had to nose in to the beach (I was flying seaplanes) because if I had gone in sideways to the beach, the wing would have been in the flames :D. Since that's where the fuel tanks were, I sort of thought that might be a bad thing :D. Anyway, keep up the good work. I like your stuff 🙂 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guy Fawkes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that does take me back Trevor, you've captured the spirit of Bonfire Night.

For those wondering, in the UK, Bonfire Night (November 5th) was always a great night for kids. Fireworks and the burning of a 'guy', which was an effigy made by kids representing Guy Fawkes who plotted to blow up parliament in 1605. A bit grisly, maybe, but to us kids it was just a great fun night.  It is still celebrated but these days it tends to be organised firework displays.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines