• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sometimes Photoshop forgets how to save a file

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the past year, on multiple Mac OS versions, on multiple Photoshop versions, on my old Intel MBP and on my new M1 MBP Photoshop has lost the ability to save files.  A video is attached.  (The MBP was up to date with all OS and Software updates at the time the video was made.) 

When I got the new MBP I also did not migrate user data over, but instead set up everything from scratch, so this definitely isn't a preference file that was carried over in migration or anything; let alone that the troubleshooting with Adobe Phone Reps in the past led to me deleting all preferences on my Intel machine.  

The problem went away for many months, but it resurfaced last week... it seems to be less frequent now.  

The autosave seems to be uneffected, at least some of the times.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

I just experienced the same problem. Eventually got my information saved by opening an older version of the same file, moved the layers from the new (unsaveable) version to the old version, was able to save that, and then had to abandon my new document. I also tried creating a new document and trying to move my layers there, but that didn't work. Now I have restarted and am updating the newest version of PS right now (I updated to the newest version—at the time—a few days ago.) I hope I don't ha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming the UXP folder
Rename the UXP folder to ~UXP.
• (Windows) Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\UXP
• (macOS) Navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/UXP

If that fixes it, I'd like to get a copy of the renamed UXP folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This keeps happening, and I don't think the UXP folder switch changed anything.  I'm now on Photoshop 24.7.0 and it happened again today 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just experienced the same problem. Eventually got my information saved by opening an older version of the same file, moved the layers from the new (unsaveable) version to the old version, was able to save that, and then had to abandon my new document. I also tried creating a new document and trying to move my layers there, but that didn't work. Now I have restarted and am updating the newest version of PS right now (I updated to the newest version—at the time—a few days ago.) I hope I don't have this issue any more! Scary. Could have lost a lot of work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the issue again, for about the 10th time this year.  Your workaround worked!  I knew I couldn't use the open command to open a document, because Photoshop came up with errors, but I didn't think about using the Open Recent feture.  That actually worked.   I opened a recent file from the list, saved my working layers on top of its contents, and was able to fix things from there.  Thank you so much for this work around.

Adobe, please fix this though.  Photoshop should never loose the ability to save.  a screenshot of the Open command's failure.   @J453  how do I get you that UXP folder, as well as a narrated video of the problem today? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines