Spot Channels overprinting - I there a way to switch this off so they knockout?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have Googled and the only answer I can find is 'back with white' which wont work (the where pixels aren't fully opaque the white whill show through).

So, I have some elements in Photoshop set to print as Spot colours via Spot Channels. When I bring this file into Illustrator, it shows as overprrinting. Is there a way to stop them overprinting? If they were CMYK they would knockout by default... that I all I want of these Spot channles.

Many thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

In Photoshop you need to manage knockouts/overprints of Spot Channels yourself, which in this case probably means manually knocking out the affected parts in the Channels. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I understand your reply re managing knocking out in Photoshop, but wht then when you combine with Illustrator elements?

An illsutraor gave the more decorative bits as a Photoshop file, but the rules and more graphic elements, which are in the same colours, we would do in Illustrator for true lines. See attached.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess you need to create a choked white Layer then; 1 or 2px might suffice. 

What is the psd’s Blend Mode in Illustrator? 

Please post more meaningful screenshots that include the pertinent Panels. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines