• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop Photoshop from stealing focus when starting?

Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first launch Photoshop CC 2017 it reaches a point where it steals the focus on Windows 10 and puts Photoshop as the active application. While this is a bit annoying it's not unusual for apps to do this when they're first launched. However, when I go back to the app I was on, Photoshop will steal focus at least 3-5 more times. Even minimizing Photoshop after the first instance doesn't do anything because it goes back to fullscreen and puts its self as the currently active app each time.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this behavior or at least force Photoshop to only grab focus when it's fully loaded and ready to go?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Hi Michael,

This is a known issue, I encourage you to follow the link mentioned below and cast your vote by clicking on me too, Our engineering team is aware and are working on a fix.

Photoshop: When launching Photoshop it recurringly takes focus from another application/task (Windows) | Photoshop Famil…

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think opening PS is bad, try loading 30 or 40 files as layers. PS steals focus EVERY TIME IT OPENS A FILE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this has become more noticeable recently. It is annoying to switch away from Photoshop as it loads as it steals focus back every 2 seconds or so until it is fully loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

This is a known issue, I encourage you to follow the link mentioned below and cast your vote by clicking on me too, Our engineering team is aware and are working on a fix.

Photoshop: When launching Photoshop it recurringly takes focus from another application/task (Window...

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so annoying. When will this issue be resolved? I can't work like that. It has been close to half a year since this is known.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so nice to know that i'm not the only one who is driven nuts by this ...

this seems like one of those small design annoyances that becomes bigger the more you use the products

please adobe fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

More than 5 years have past since you posted this comment Sahil...

5 years, of still having this software stealing my focus and driving me insane.

5 years of the def team not implying a code that, whatever app is launching, is launching in the background.

It's not rocket sience, it's really just altering the load-cycle to a background process and disabling useless focus steal. 

Even when closing an app, it tends to steal focus once or twice, even without a prompt or option that I have to click before closing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This frustrates me completely. I like to open photoshop and then continue working while it loads but it won't let me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like this has been fixed in the latest version of CC 2018.

• PS CC 2018 v 19.1.3
  • Win 7 SP1; Intel Xeon @ 2.4GHz; 64GB RAM

I was just updated at my company, and the behavior of Photoshop opening is perfectly in line with how a program should open in the background—it stays in the background, does not interrupt anything, and flashes the icon in the taskbar...in other words, it no longer steals focus!

This is glorious. However, the update did come with a downside: my filetype association was obliterated; it was still pointing to CC 2017, which had been uninstalled. A quick registry hack and that was taken care of, so all in all, this update was pretty good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still getting this bug in CC 20.0.4 as of April 16, 2019.

Nearly a year later and this bug persists, anyone have a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WhatsAFoote  wrote

I am still getting this bug in CC 20.0.4 as of April 16, 2019.

Nearly a year later and this bug persists, anyone have a fix?

You definitely have the latest version? 

Help > About Photoshop

What operating system are you  using?

You'll have noticed that the last post to this thread before yours, was a year ago.  It stopped being an issue for me with Windows 10, from the update that was said to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, as I stated, 20.0.4. Confirmed through the CC app and though Photoshop itself. Running Windows 10, up to date.

This behavior has always occured for me, didn't even realize it was supposed to be fixed until I hopped online to check for a fix just now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the SAME issue!!!! On MAC working on Adobe 2019. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feb 2020 and it's still not fixed. Come on Adobe, we pay you enough and you keep saying how great your software is but ignor things that irritate you customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now the end of 2020 and PS CC is still stealing focus from lightroom everytime I send something over to it. Even when I swtich batck to lightroom it will take focus away again. This is very irritating and slows down my productivity. Can't someone just add a feature to turn this function off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines