• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Straight line on IPad Pro app with photoshop

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I draw a straight line using the Photoshop app on an iPad Pro with an Apple stylus?

thanks?

Randy

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's a ruler in Photoshop (there's one in Fresco). You can create a rectangular selection and fill, but this is probably not a good solution. Use a physical ruler...? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the functionality of holding shift like on desktop? This is one of my most used features, workflow is much slower without this, anyone know if this is coming soon? Would be great for this to be added to Lightroom iPad too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Like you, I have been wanting to draw a straight line in Photoshop on iPad Pro. 
This is my solution. 
If you select the TEXT tool. the keypad will appear. Do not insert any letters, but instead go to the numbers on the keypad (.?123 key), then go to the uppercase key (#+= key). This will give you access to the underline key, which is below the 4 and 5 numbers. Type a series of these to make a straight line. After this you will be able to change the thickness (Font size) and length (horizontal scale) and colour.  
You can then change position, angle and size by using the transform tool on left of screen.  
This all sounds long winded, but it only takes a second. 
I hope this helps..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you do vertical lines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, there's no feature to do this.  But they're constantly adding features, so I'd suggest it.  But at the moment, if you have Fresco,  I'd jump over to that app and use their rulers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a gesture or a left hand thumb press etc
(I really like the secondary touch shortcuts in the iPad Ps and Fresco — executing a straight line that way would be perfect).

For people who concept sketch for a living,  a ruler tool is too slow. I mean, waaaaaay too slow.

Concept sketching uses the massively parallel automatic processing of the brain  — you do it rapidly and without thinking.

We need a tool that can keep up with that.
A ruler tool requires a deliberate action using the slow, serial, conscious brain. Too slow.
Fresco has an optional gesture to hold at the end of a stroke for a straight line, but that suffers from the speed issue too (and it's pretty awkward to use).

Fresco is a perfect augment to my iPad for the hundreds of infographic and layout concept sketches I do for clients, and I can walk into their board room and draw right in front of the CEO.

But, with a ruler tool, that's not happening if I need straight lines.

A gesture or touch shortcut is what's needed.

Love the functionality of Ps and Fresco on my iPad.

Looking to see the performance features for conceptualizing fine tuned as we go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both Fresco and PS on my iPad. I have not been too happy with the tools/lack there of on the iPad version.

I do a lot of work in perspective, so I need to be able to draw perfectly straight lines at many different angles.

I'm glad that Thomas mentioned using Fresco. I have not used it yet since I am so used to PS (and therefore have mainly been doing work at my desktop. I will need to play around Fresco and see how easy it is to transfer between it, iPad PS and desktop PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I've been using Procreate for perspective and straight lines — the perspective support is robust and while straight line drawing is not super precise, it's pertty good. It's a bit of a brain smack to learn a new ecosystem. But I'm used to it now.

I'm still all Adobe on the desktop.
I store all my images on the iPad unless I choose to export, which is a feature I like.

Cheers

t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use de smooth setting of brush tool. Set it to 80-100%. It's not the same, but it helps.

hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A8D207CB-38ED-439C-93E0-0C90F80CBD37.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Use a physical ruler...? 😉

Me, from more than two years ago. Finally 😍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very smart! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👍 Perfect - it's what I do when I'm in the studio. On the go, I sometimes remember to bring a little six inch plastic ruler. Who knew we'd be going back to the old days? 8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had success by rotating the "canvas" into position and using the edge of the iPad and my pen to draw a relatively straight line.
A. Place the tip of your pen on the screen.
2. Place your palm on the edge of your iPad using it as a guide to carefully glide and draw your line. ( if necessary : avoid coffee... as it may give you

the jitters)

C. If happy with your line, copy that layer , repeat, move into position, erase the unneeded. 
4. "Merge below" to connect the lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that you can't draw a rudimentary straight line on an iPad without a key board in 2023!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all 

Any progress on this?

Seems like PROCREATE is still the way to on the iPad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in the "normal" photoshop when you want your brush to connect a straight line to a specific place you just press shift and click. Is this feature on iPad? I can't find it and I use it a lot. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, Randy - did you mark Jessica's answer as correct by accident?

She was actually asking a question.
As far as I can tell, Ps mobile doesn't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines