• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke width Issue

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stay with me through the weeds here.  For a photo book project, I am taking images and sizing them using the "Fit image" command so all are then 3500 px on the long edge.  I then enlarge the canvas by 70 px to accommodate what comes next. The background becomes a layer and my border style is applied.  This is a stroke filled with a gradient.  The reason for the size expansion was to allow using the border stroke inside without losing any of the image.  I have been creating my photo borders this way for years.  I have assembled this whole process into an Action.

As I started assembling my images into book pages, I noticed that some of the borders were thicker than others even though the same border style had been applied to each.

I then took two images, nearly identical in size and did all the steps by hand without running the action. Always applying the same style, I got varying border widths.  I've attached a screen capture of my stroke border.  It shows 73 px, but when the style is applied to several similar sized photos, they have ranged from 66 to 93 px.

What am I missing.   Thank you.
George.....

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the images’ resolutions (Image > Image Size)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I needed a quick fix to finish a project on deadline.  My workaround was to insert  a STOP in the Action I use to prepare the photos.  In that stop I examine the stroke width and adjust it as necessary.  Someone asked about image size being a factor.  Aspect ratios vary just a little, but the long sides of the images are all identical.  I'd like to understand what's happening, but for now I have an annoying but workable solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again: 

What are the images’ resolutions (Image > Image Size)? 

Please no lengthy explanations, just state the numbers. 

Do all the images have the same resolution or not? 

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 07.50.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have hit upon something.  Two versions of the same image with identical pixel dimensions but different resolutions yield different stroke widths when the style is applied within an action.  The style specifies a width of 73 px and that is what I get if the image resolution is 250 px/inch.  I generally don't consider resolution until want to make a print.  I work almost exclusively with pixel dimensions.  I suspect the work around is to insert an "Image Size" step in my action.  That will work, but I still see this issue as a bug. The style specifies the width in pixels and that is what I get if I apply the style manually rather than within an action, regardless of resolution. Thanks as always to those who offered help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I’m usually quick to contest hasty complaints about a supposed »bug«, but in this case I think the units being input as px but NOT being applied as px might qualify. 

At the very least it would seem like confusing (or confused?) UI … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines