• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroking Paths

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on an action for "stitching" stuff. I am trying to find a way that I can load an object, create a Work Path from that selection, then stroke it with a brush (stitch the object). My issue seems to be with circles. It doesn't matter whether I'm loading an object or using the marque tool, I do not get a nice neat stroke. However, if I draw the circle using the pen, it comes out just the way I want it. 

What I'm using for a brush right now is a squished hard round brush (Brush Tip Shape - Size: 25px, Roundness: 20% and Spacing: 600% ... Shape Dynamics - Angle Jitter: 0%, Control: Direction). I'm on a Mac (Big Sur) using Photoshop 2021.

Any ideas why this is happening?

btw - it works just fine on a rectangle with a little clean up needed for the corners. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

What do you mean by loads an object? How are you using the Marquee tools tool option bar options? How are you creating the paths from selections.  Why are you not using the vector tools for creating paths?

Capture.jpg

Path made fron selectioms are not the best can vary even for quite simple selections to toe be converted to a path. 

Capture.jpg

You can edit the work path created. Improve on what Photoshop created.

It can require a lot of work to fix up a Path Photoshop created from a good selection.

Capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

So sorry ... I didn't get notified that anyone had answered this.

What I needed to do is stroke an object (piece of paper, etc.) or allow the user to draw with the marquee tool. It worked as long as there wasn't anything circular (like a circle). 

I have come back to add I figured out the problem.  I realized that I was getting too many anker points. This was because in creating the path, I was setting the tolerance to .5 ... changing it to 2 took care of the problem. 

All this is for the creati

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by loads an object? How are you using the Marquee tools tool option bar options? How are you creating the paths from selections.  Why are you not using the vector tools for creating paths?

Capture.jpg

Path made fron selectioms are not the best can vary even for quite simple selections to toe be converted to a path. 

Capture.jpg

You can edit the work path created. Improve on what Photoshop created.

It can require a lot of work to fix up a Path Photoshop created from a good selection.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry ... I didn't get notified that anyone had answered this.

What I needed to do is stroke an object (piece of paper, etc.) or allow the user to draw with the marquee tool. It worked as long as there wasn't anything circular (like a circle). 

I have come back to add I figured out the problem.  I realized that I was getting too many anker points. This was because in creating the path, I was setting the tolerance to .5 ... changing it to 2 took care of the problem. 

All this is for the creation of an action to stroke paths (ie, stitch). Elements users do not have access to paths, but if I create them in Photoshop and save them out, they can use that path. Also, if I have the action create a path from a selection, it will work in Elements. I've found there are several "hidden" Photoshop features in Elements that I can tap into by creating an action in Photoshop.

Thanks again for your response.

Jill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same solution was in given answer for you, so you may mark it as correct reply as well 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's not the same and would not have solved my problem. While it was a good answer, I needed a solution that would work in Elements ... I cannot modify a path in Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's wrong space for your thread to be started. Isn't it right one: Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No because one can only write an action in Photoshop. Plus the action could definitely be used in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use hidden Elements functionalities by scripting: Error when trying to run a script 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't want to argue with you. I am familiar with Elements+ ... and I understand the functionality provided is outstanding. I write actions geared towards digital scrapping ... for both the designer and the scrapper. Most don't want to learn about the functionality of the application or they just need something that can do the job quickly and easily. In fact, a lot of my customers had never used actions until I started writing them and many that I create are at the request of my customer base. 

With all that said, I do want to thank you for your concern and information. I am not a regular poster here but, I am an avid reader and appreciate folks like you who are willing to take the time to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once discovered Elements+ few years ago but never tried it and hence I was not aware it's designed for Photoshop Elements (I had no idea of its existment for long). On the August 20 I found in linked post it should be used over there and let you use options that for some reason were visually disabled. So as that was fresh information for me I happily mentioned about it in relation to application you use (for scripting purpose). Anyway, if you don't mind, share a link to your website where the self-made actions are available to purchase...

btw I read again an issue you came with and used everything like you originally did, so with 0.5 tolerance when createing a path from circle selection. After stroking it with said settings I got the (un)expected result you showed in bottom part of your attached screenshot. Then I did the same but with around 2.0 value suggested by JJMack and I got the desired result so that from top part of your screenshot.

Due to your description it is what you wanted to achieve, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to be nitpicky, but I was the one that came up with the 2 px tolerance. I'm sure JJMack would have been able to give me that info if I had provided more info about the issue originally. I come from a vector art background, so I took a closer look at the path I was getting and  the problem was too many anchor points (see attached). That made me realize that I had my tolerance too tight. 

I've also attached an example of some output. It's not the only thing this action does, but it's a good example. 

As to a link ... if you really are interested in seeing some of my action, the link to the actions in my store is Jilbert's Bits of Bytes. I've done many others that I have just given away. If you would like to see some of these in action, check out my YouTube videos - Jilbert's Bits of Bytes.

I did achive what I set out to do and the action should end up in my store sometime next month (testing it now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops ... the example is WAY too big ... here's one that isn't ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was really interested to see your Ps actions, nice work, so thank you for sharing the links.

As to the solved issue I understand this is just the part of something bigger you work on, but the core of presented problem over here was about that thing with circle (to say shortly).

That was very good described and easy to reproduce to see the brushed 'corners'. You didn't need to say anything more, the side effect was enough clear without providing more info.

That's right you didn't see posted answer because of no notification, so you showed up later when already figured out yourself the cause of unwanted effect, but that does not change the fact JJMack provided solution as well, by showing examples of using tolerance values between 1 and 3 pixels. Applying that knowledge together with everything read in original post the problem can be easily solved. Of course you found on your own too that a low factor was making too many anchors, so default 0.5 had to be changed to 2.

That means you both were the ones to independently from each other providing the right answer, even if unawarely. As JJMack did it earlier I don't see reason to leave his answer not marked as correct reply next to yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

happy???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines