• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtract/add using option key not working (layer masks with brush and eraser tools)

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 🙂

I've been using Photoshop since 2001. And as anyone I have my own preferences of using certaing features.

I normally edit a picture using layer mask with a brush or eraser and no matter what tool I'm using, if I press option key (mac) it will turn that tool into subtract mode or add mode (depending if I'm using a brush or eraser) making the process very easy.

I know if I press the x key (having white and black on the colours) will do the same thing, but sometimes I use colours and not only black and white, and yes I can use letter D (which is an extra step), but what if I need to keep 2 specific colours like green and red? That's why this is very important for me to use the option key to substract/add on the layer mask

So the problem is that I needed to delete every single file from adobe (due to another issue with illustrator) and I have lost that preference on Photoshop. Now when I press the option key with the eraser it shows this message: "Could not use the history eraser because the history state does not contain a corresponding layer." and when I use the option key with the brush tool it pick the eyedroper tool... So basically I've lost that preference I mentioned earlier.

Is there anyone that could help me a bit with this?

Cheers!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need erase to history to be checked. If you cannot check that, try restarting photoshop. I was getting the same issue as you but restarted photoshop and worked as I remember.

MikeGondek_0-1658257381778.png

I personally never use the eraser or history brush as I just paint with black or white on a mask layer, but since noone was answering your post wanted to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for not replying before, I was quite busy 😞

Interesting option, I haven't seen it before. But it does not work on masks (the black/white extra layer besides the main layer) and it also doesn't work with brushes.. Any other suggestion?

Thanks a mill 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines